Is this unusual???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this unusual???

My Great Grandmother was the child of two Irish Catholics who married in a Roman Catholic ceremony.

She married my Great Grandfather in a Church of England ceremony

They had 3 children in 1873, 1875, and 1877 but didn't marry till 1879. I have all the
    Baptism information (all C of E) and their marriage certificate

They then went on to have 3 more children including my Grandad.

I've not come across this before.

Linda

Maybe she lost her faith. Maybe she didn't dare get married in the Catholic church because she had children born outside marriage. Maybe she didn't dare get married in the Catholic church because the father of her children was an already married man. Maybe she was already married. Maybe they had a ceremony in both churches - say a nuptial mass in the Catholic church (but that seems unlikely if all her children were baptised C of E).

OC

Comment

Mmm it's an interesting one. I'm pretty sure neither of them had been married before but seemed strange to have THREE children and then get married....this flipping hobby throws up as many queries as it does confirmations.

Got the birth certificate of the first child 1873 and it says Father Alfred Langham and mother Mary Ann Langham formerly Carroll!!! So they were telling a big fib!!

I told Uncle, who's nearly, 90 today, His response 'Ooohh Bl**dy Hell. Bet that put the cat amongst the pigeons' lol

Linda
      Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 05-04-12, 20:25.

Comment

I think what is unusual about the situation is that they did not get married until they had had three children IF they were both free to marry. An Irish Catholic girl would be unlikely to live with a man she was not legally married to, unless there was a very good reason they couldn't marry. I'd be looking for a prior marriage for one of them.

OC

Comment

Do you actually have their marriage cert because I'm a bit worried that a Mary Ann Little also shows on the same page, or is that just a coincidence?

EDIT - DURH! Sorry, I see you said you have the marriage cert!

OC
          Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 05-04-12, 21:20.

Comment

One of my grandmother's sisters started to have children in 1895.I searched for her marriage for years, and eventually found it in 1929! I of course looked to see if there had been a previous marriage for either of them,even though they were young.One of her brothers did not marry until a couple of years after the birth of his first child.He was a widower and the bride was single.They came from an Irish Catholic family and were practicing Catholics.Their parents were alive and living in the same city.I don't know the reason for the delay in either case,but it just goes to show that it did happen even in respectable families.
            Fran

Comment

It happened to my gx2 grandparents too. And I think it was something to do with their age - he was 17 when their first child was born in 1873, then they married in 1874 when they were expecting their second child. They were Catholics too. Did you have to have parents permission to marry before 21?
              Best wishes, Polly

Begley - St Helens & Liverpool & somewhere in Ireland; Foster - Liverpool & Yorkshire (Ripon & Leeds); Pendleton - Huyton & Liverpool; Milnes - Leeds & Ripon; Banister - Preston; Wales - Liverpool & Cumberland; Ireland - Prescot; McDonough - Liverpool; Quirk - Liverpool; Hunt - St Helens; Tickle - St Helens

Comment

Thing is I've had the certs for ages and it wasn't till I was entering them on my FTM that I realized..

Linda

Comment

I knew a woman, she was Catholic. "He" asked her to marry him, but refused to marry in the Catholic church. she wouldn't marry anywhere else, as "It would not be a proper marriage". They lived together for twenty years and had two children. I don't know if she kept her faith in other ways, but she refused to marry outside it.

He was free to marry when the relationship ended and is now happily married elsewhere.

Comment

But this couple married in the C of E church, not the Catholic church and that's a bit odd for a Catholic girl. Yes, you did need parental permission to marry under the age of 21 but many priests/vicars would override the parents' objections if a child was on the way - it is better to marry than to burn, lol.

OC

Comment

Working...
                    X