Registry of Teachers 1917

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registry of Teachers 1917

I was hoping someone might have a copy of this and be willing to look for my Grandmother for me. She is shown on the 1911 census as a teacher (county council) in Castleford Yorkshire and was 23. As she didn't marry until she was 35, I expect she was teaching during the intervening years. She may have been in a different area at the time though. Her name was Petrina Mary Fergusson. Any help would be much appreciated.

cant find her on the Teachers Registration council list (FMP)

Comment

Thankyou for looking Janet. Being on the list cost a guinea and wasn't compulsory - shame.

Comment

Didn't know County Councils existed as early as that!
        Jess

Comment

I just checked and it definitely says that, though it is written in a different ink and what could be a different hand. It is possible that it was added later by a researcher or such like I suppose.

Comment

Yes if a woman teacher married she had to give up teaching too. That's why so many remained single.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

County Councils were formed in 1889.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                Didn't know County Councils existed as early as that!
                LEAS were established In 1902 - more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_Act_1902.
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                  Yes if a woman teacher married she had to give up teaching too. That's why so many remained single.
                  That is what I understood to be the case too, but I was told she continued as, what we would now call, a supply teacher. May have been a private arrangement with one school. Incidentally, when I joined BOAC in the 70's, we were supposed to leave if we married! How times change!

Comment

Working...
                  X