FMP Surrey Recruitment Registers look up please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP Surrey Recruitment Registers look up please

Would someone with access to FMP please have a look to see if there is a Leslie Arthur Hearn signing up....there are two Leslie Arthur Hearns in India and I am not sure which if either is mine.
    The register is supposed to be frm 1908 to 1933 and my man was born in 1894 so possibly signed up 1911 onwards.. he returned in 1933
    Last edited by colin taylor; 02-01-13, 15:38.

There is a birth in 1894 listed in the Armed Forces BMD database for a Leslie A Hearn. The regiment was 70th Foot and the place was Kingston, unfortunately it doesn't say which Kingston!

Record source: GRO Regimental Birth Indices (1761 to 1924)
    Update: Just found the birth in the BMD registers & it was Kingston in Surrey!

The Surrey Recruitment Registers are not giving any results for Leslie Arthur Hearn.

I'll keep looking.
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 05-04-12, 14:26.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I have a Leslie Arthur Hearn born 1894 in Kingston, Surrey and it is possible that he is the person that I am looking for...
      He is on the 1911 census age 17 and an Instrument Maker, Scientific Research, National Physical Laboratories.
      The Leslie Arthur Hearn I want was born 1894... was a Captain in the army in India ..a Professor of Engineering at Patna University, reurned or came to the UK with his wife and child in 1933 and after his wifes death he went back to India where he died in 1937 working at a College of Engineering in Bihar.
      His wife Yvonne Bridget Hearn died 27 May 1934 at Standstead Road in Caterham... but not yet found out where she is buried.
      That 70th Foot may tie in with other army information that I have so will start checking again

Comment

On the UK Incoming Passenger Lists on Ancestry there is a Leslie A Hearn, an engineer aged 37, travelling from Bombay to London aboard the 'Mooltan' arriving on 6 May 1931. Also with him are Helen Hearn aged 39 and Helen E Hearn aged 1 and a half. Their destination address is St Margarets, Seymore Road, Hampton Hill, Middlesex.

Also on there is a Leslie Arthur Hearn, an engineer aged 39, travelling from Calcutta to London aboard the 'Dumana', arriving on 25 June 1933. Travelling with him are his wife, Yvonne Bridget Hearn aged 23 and Norman Warren Hearn aged 1. They give their proposed address in England as Imperial Bank of India, 25 Old Broad Street, London EC and their last country of permanent residence as India.
        Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 05-04-12, 20:47.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Colin
          I have sent you a PM (private message).
          Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 05-04-12, 21:23.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

As he was a Captain perhaps his father was an officer too? Might be worth searching for him in the London Gazette and there might be records for him at the National Archives. His son should be in the Indian Army lists which would give the basics - date of commisssion/promotions, and if you can confirm his fathers rank he might feature in the British Army Lists.

I used to live in Seymour Road Hampton Hill!
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Hi Colin - have you been looking for this man on other forums - with a different username - or is there someone else also trying to track him down??

If Ann is interested there were a number of LG entries posted on this thread

The father - William Joseph Hearn is recorded on 1891 and 1901 census as a Quartermaster Sergeant in the East Surrey Regiment

Comment

Thank you for the replies
                Yes I am the person on the other site.... I have been directed to the London Gazette and it would appear that there were two Leslie Arthur Hearns.. I thought that it was the same one but not sure. I have copies of the relevant pages
                I did find a Leslie Arthur Hearn born 1894 who married Helen Leahy Blackwell Clifford a divorced lady on 29 March 1921 at Jamalpur Bengal but it shows his father as Joseph Hearn... this could be William Joseph Hearn.. but just guesswork.. also in 1933 he arrives in the UK with wife Yvonne Bridget and his 1 year old son.
                Last edited by colin taylor; 06-04-12, 11:08.

Comment

It does seem remarkable that there were two Leslie Arthur Hearns of the same age and occupation in India at the same time.

See my post #4 for the Leslie travelling to London with the two Helens in 1931 who appears to be the same age and have the same occupation as the Leslie travelling to London in 1933 with Yvonne & Norman.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

To add to the mystery

39 year old Helen Hearn with 1 year old Helen Hearn returned to India on the RAWALPINDI - 27th August 1931. Last address in England was given as Rob Roy Bungalow, Old Fort Road, Shoreham

There is also a birth notice in the Times of India - On 23rd October 1936 at Patna to Anna Dorothy - wife of Capt Leslie Hearn - a daughter

Comment

Thank you SueNSW and LangleyVale Sue... all new information to me... it does look as though he married three times... but I am still thrown by the entry that states his father was Joseph Hearn... still... some new things to follow up... I did notice on the National Archives that there was a divorce case were a Leslie Arthur Hearn was shown as co-respondent...

Comment

I have tried to find the Times of India item that SueNSW mentioned but despite finding The Times of India I can find no archives.. I was wondering if there is any more information in the announcement.
                        With the help of the new information I have found Helen Lahey Hearn arriving in London on board Chitral on 29 March 1949...this is the divorced lady who married Leslie Arthur Hearn on 29 March 1921 so not sure if there were two Leslie Arthur Hearns or if they divorced..

Comment

No more info in the announcement I mentioned Colin - if there had been I would have included it

I can access the Times of India via the State Library of NSW and Proquest Historical Newspapers - not sure where might have it in your area

Maybe some research in London might be worthwhile - National Archives and India Office Collection at British Library

Good Luck

Comment

Found the link between Leslie Arthur Hearn in the Army and Leslie Arthur Hearne 1911 census in Kingston..
                            LAH medal card gives a contact address Upper Lodge, Bushey Park, Hampton.... I had checked this address and as it was given over Canadian servicemen in 1920 or so and I thought that it was a dead end.....
                            Yesterday followed the family on the London Electoral Registers father was a retired army man working as a park keeper in a Royal Park.. in 1926 he is at No 3 Upper Lodge Cottages, Bushy Park, Hampton and in 1920 Leslie is shown with his parents but as an absent voter..

Comment

Working...
                            X