Surrey Assizes Records - 1820

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surrey Assizes Records - 1820

Hi, how can I find the Surrey Assizes records for Judith Myers convicted for a term of 7 years on 23 March 1820. She arrived on the Morley in New South Wales, Australia. It sailed on 17th May 1820. (Sorry, spelt Surrey incorrectly in the title - fixed it for you. Caroline. ).
    Last edited by naomiatt; 05-04-12, 06:41.

Surrey Histrory Soc seem to do a cd have a look.

Not too expensive either

The Surrey Quarter Sessions 1780-1820 CD is produced by the Surrey History Trust and can be purchased from the Surrey Heritage online shop or from Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND. Price £10 plus £2.40 postage and handling or £4.00 for overseas. Please make cheques payable to "Surrey County Council".

Linda
    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 05-04-12, 08:37.

Comment

Thanks Linda. I've info for her 'husband', Frederick, but nothing on her from Surrey. In April 1818, Frederick was arrested with four others on a charge of stealing 200lbs of lead valued at 20 Shillings from a dwelling house in Mortimer Terrace, Kentish Town, London. He appeared in court at Middlesex Gaol Delivery on 6 May 1818 and was convicted of larceny. Transported to Van Diemens Land for 7 years. In the ‘remarks’ column of the Criminal Register it says ‘In Newgate (Prison) before’.

Thanks Caroline!
      Last edited by naomiatt; 06-04-12, 06:23.

Comment

My GGGGGrandfather was transported to Australia and then onto Van Diemans Land in 1803 for life, for stealing a sheep. It was the first settlement there and there is a big monument in Hobart with the names of all the people on that first ship and his name is there too.

Harsh sentences in those days.

Hope you manage to find out some more information about Judith Myers

Linda

Comment

Is there anything in any of the online newspaper resources, Naomi?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you seen this?

Hopefully it helps

Linda

Comment

Hi all, thanks Linda, no, I'd not seen that one...I'm in regular contact with J....he's got loads of info but it's not all making sense so re-hashing and trying to get to the bottom of it all...Have you been out to Hobart?

Comment

Working...
              X