Confused by this birth index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused by this birth index

I'm currently working on adding all of my grandmother's brothers and sisters to my family tree. Their surname was Bateman, mother's maiden name Badrick. I was searching this on Ancestry and it came up with one called "Walter S Bateman" born in 1921. My mother doesn't recall knowing an uncle with that name, but she is going to talk to my grandmother tomorrow. My grandmother believes that her mother (Ruth Badrick) had 2 babies that died, so it could be that Walter is one of them, however I can't find a record of a death that seems to match. The next problem I have is that when I open up the actual image of the birth record I cannot find a "Walter S Bateman" on there The only thing on the page that seems to match the details is a "William S Bateman" mother's maiden name Badrick. I would be grateful if anyone had any idea where the name "Walter S" got transcribed from because it looks nothing like it! For people with Ancestry, this is a link to the page: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=35564486
    Wright, Hamments, Male, Murphy, Bateman, Badrick

I have just found a death index for a William S Bateman, 1921 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=16471383 looks like my grandmother was right.

Comment

It seems to be just a weird mistranscription by Ancestry. If you do the same search on FreeBMD, you'll see they've transcribed it correctly:

Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
        It seems to be just a weird mistranscription by Ancestry. If you do the same search on FreeBMD, you'll see they've transcribed it correctly:

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
        That's great, thank you.

Comment

I really want to find out where he was buried. I'm not even sure if they would've done a proper burial for such a young baby?

Comment

Babies were often either buried in a communal grave with other babies or placed in the same grave as an unrelated adult.

If you can find out which is the most likely council cemetery where the burial would have taken place, it's worth asking for a search of their registers. Some are free, but others can be quite expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              Babies were often either buried in a communal grave with other babies or placed in the same grave as an unrelated adult.

If you can find out which is the most likely council cemetery where the burial would have taken place, it's worth asking for a search of their registers. Some are free, but others can be quite expensive.
              I think I might try phoning , just to see what they say. My parents have recently moved to the area in which his death is registered, I know they've looked around a few cemeteries in search of possible other Badrick/Bateman relatives, but this is obviously before we knew William existed. My mum says someone at one of them told her they did had a section of the cemetery where babies were buried, but obviously that would be unmarked.

Comment

Yes, it's likely to be an unmarked grave, but the child's name will still appear in the cemetery burial register.

Comment

Working...
                X