X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Accidental drowning at Siscar Bridge, Unstone in Derbyshire

Dear Members,

Can anyone help with answers to the following questions:

I have recently received a copy of a death certificate for one of my ancestors a "George Agar" who accidently drowned at Siscar Bridge in Unstone, Derbyshire on the 11. November 1877, aged 75.

According to the death certificate, an inquest into his death took place on 16.11.1877.

1. Where would this inquest have been held?
    2. Are inquest records from that period still available? If they are, would I be allowed a copy of the
    inquest findings and from whom?
    3. Was there a local newspaper in existence at the time - that may a run a story on this drowning?
    4. Finally, can anyone provide me with the exact coordinates of the Siscar Bridge in Unstone?

Many thanks,

Brian

According to the Sheffield and Rotheram Independent newspaper (16th November 1877) the inquest was held at the Fleur de Lis Inn in Unstone. Mr Busby was the coroner. There are a couple of newspaper articles about it but I see you are in Germany so I presume you don't have access to the 19th Century British Library Newspaper collection. If you would like copies, PM me your email address and I'll send them
    Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie,

many, many thanks for the a/m information and the newspaper cuttings that you sent me via email - your response was great and the information first class.

Brian

Comment

You're welcome
        Jackie

Comment

Working...
        X