John Henry King of Rodney Rd Surrey in 1869

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Henry King of Rodney Rd Surrey in 1869

This is a long and complicated story......

Harriett Apps, widow of Richard Apps of Chichester died in 1869. Her nephew, John Henry King of 75 Rodney Rd, New Kent Rd, Surrey was granted letters of administration for her (small) estate on 16 Feb 1869.

This seems to indicate that Harriett's maiden name might have been King. So far I have been unable to trace her maiden name and I believe (according to census) that she came from Ringwood, Hampshire. One other piece of info, which I would like to tie in, was a marriage between a Richard Apps and a Harriett King in Northwood, Isle of Wight in 1811.
    I had almost given up hope of ever tying these facts together until I found out about John Henry King who was listed as a machine oiler.

One more fact (which may be relevant!) when Richard wrote his will he left £100 to Mrs Jane King (or her children if she had died), who was at present living with them in Chichester.

Please does anyone know or own John Henry? I have been unable to find him on any Census records.

Shirley

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ion_id=1473014

John Henry King on this link has a mother Harriett, baptism Chichester

Edna

Comment

Sorry for the delay in replying - having severe probs with new Virgin internet provider!!!
      Thank you Edna for that piece of info - not my Harriett, as she and Richard Apps were childless. That's the problem with these two - Harriett obviously had at least one brother or her nephew would not be a King (if you know what I mean!)(unless she had a naughty sister!)
      Richard shared out his considerable estate between all his nephews and nieces. He and Harriett seem to have been a devoted couple and they both lived to a good age (94 & 90)

Comment

So this is Richard and Harriet Apps in 1861, just for the record:

RG09 piece 623 folio 30 page 11
        Address: West Street, Subdeanery, Chichester
        APPS, Richard Head Married M 88 1773 Umbrella Maker Employing 3 Hands Boxgrove Sussex
        APPS, Harriett Wife Married F 81 1780 Kingwood Hampshire
        APPS, Jane Servant Unmarried F 19 1842 Household Servant Chichester Sussex
        SMART, Mary Servant Unmarried F 17 1844 Household Servant Slindon Sussex
        Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 06-04-12, 07:35.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Yes, that's the correct record Elizabeth. I believe Harriett's birthplace is Ringwood not Kingwood (I have never heard of a Kingwood in Hampshire).
          btw Jane Apps, listed as a servant, was actually Richard's great niece. Her father, Richard the younger, ran the business for his uncle and inherited it too. Jane inherited the same business from her father after his his death. (It is now a Hotter shoe shop in North Street, Chichester.)

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley silver surfer View Post
            Sorry for the delay in replying - having severe probs with new Virgin internet provider!!!
            Thank you Edna for that piece of info - not my Harriett, as she and Richard Apps were childless. That's the problem with these two - Harriett obviously had at least one brother or her nephew would not be a King (if you know what I mean!)(unless she had a naughty sister!)
            Richard shared out his considerable estate between all his nephews and nieces. He and Harriett seem to have been a devoted couple and they both lived to a good age (94 & 90)
            I think someone say with a maiden name of Smith with a sister married to someone with the surname King could have a nephew with the surname King.

Margaret
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 06-04-12, 22:11.

Comment

How about this one http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=2370864 for John Henry King occ Hydraulics machinist in 1871.

Margaret

Comment

or this one in 1861 listed as engineer http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=6286461

Comment

Thank you so much Margaret. I am attracted to your first suggestion as a hydraulics machinist could very well be another name for a machine oiler (the occupation given in the application record). However, the most interesting person in the household is John's mother Jane King. She could be the Mrs Jane King referred to in Richard Apps senior's will! As Richard and Harriett were well advanced in age it would seem logical and convenient to invite a widowed relative to live with them, maybe to help run the house and perhaps to give support? She does not appear with them in any census, however.
                  I wonder if I am letting myself be carried away by a string of coincidences!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X