Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was she bankrupt

and where was she in 1901?

Ellen Hiles born 1856 in Oxford, in 1891 she is living at 18 Hurst St, with a friend and friends adopted daughter. In 1911 she is living at 7 Bartlemas Road, Cowley, Oxford with her friends adopted daughter, now stated to be her niece (which she wasn't) and another 4 year old girl, listed as Adopted daughter.

I am trying to trace her in the intervening 20 years. In the London Gazette between 17 Dec 1897 and 26 July 1898 I found a few mentions of her (named as Ellen Mary Josephine Hiles) in what I think is bankruptcy proceedings. I think she was a lodging house keeper at 10 St Giles Street, Oxford.

Can anyone find her in 1901, and am I correct about her being bankrupt?

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Could this be her ? transcribed as Kiles but Hiles on FMP
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...1816863&recoff=

Comment

Very interesting Val, that might well be her - even though the dob is a couple of years out, there is no other entry for Ellen Kiles, and that is the only Ellen Hiles from Oxford around. Interesting that she is down as a nurse, she was a dressmaker in 1891.
      Linda

Comment

I could only find one Birth for an Ellen Hiles in Oxford ?
        Last edited by Guest; 02-04-12, 16:11.

Comment

Linda

In "The Times" Sat, 18 Dec 1897, p14: Heading Bankruptcy Acts 1883 and 1890/ In the Country/ Adjudications:

The following Amended Notice is substituted for that published in the "London Gazette" of Dec 10 [which was under Receiving Orders]
          Hiles, Ellen Mary Josephine, Oxford, Lodging House Keeper.

Looked up definition of adjudication:

2. a. a judicial decision or sentence
          b. a decree in bankruptcy.

So, it seems she probably was declared bankrupt.

Carol

Comment

Thanks Carol, I thought it was, but am useless when it comes to legalese.

She was back to being a Lodging house keeper in 1911 though, so maybe had learnt something!

There was another Ellen Hiles born in Oxford in 1876 - her niece. All the Hiles in Oxford up to the early 1900's are the same family, I think I have traced them all - even the ones who tried to hide, with help from you lovely lot!
            Linda

Comment

that one is a lot later though isnt she ?

Comment

Yes. 18 years younger than her aunt. I have her through to marriage. Still waiting for Ancestry to transcribe the 1911 for Oxfordshire, so I can catch up on the rest.
                Linda

Comment

Working...
                X