• 1940 - begins TOMORROW

from Familysearch:

"The first five states that will be available by Monday evening are:
    1. Delaware
    2. Virginia
    3. Kansas
    4. Oregon
    5. Colorado"

All states should be available for indexing within about 2 weeks. Peak indexing is expected Saturday thru Monday, so weekday contributors are especially appreciated.

anyone with a PC or a Mac can help index!
    Thanks
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 01-04-12, 21:26.

I though it was going to be available on FMP

I was wrong!!

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
      I though it was going to be available on FMP

I was wrong!!

Linda
      You were right:
      see http://www.findmypast.com/
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Yes but I thought it was going to be in with my full package.

Looks like it's got to be paid for separately. Or have I got it wrong?

Linda

Comment

Yes, it seems to be on findmypast.com not .co.uk :(
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

On family search, the census page says search for the first 3 states you mention

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I wanted Oregon!
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Most of the publicity suggests that it's all supposed to be free!

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'm looking for a step-aunt in Kansas - wouldn't have been a priority, but my step-cousin & I are both interested!

Comment

i have a runaway uncle in california haha. not even sure he'd be on it yet!

Comment

the 1940 will be free with images on familysearch, the only census they do.

Comment

Just finished my first two pages

Comment

Dick Eastman has several articles about the 1940 census in today's newsletter: http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                          from Familysearch:

"The first five states that will be available by Monday evening are:
                          1. Delaware
                          2. Virginia
                          3. Kansas
                          4. Oregon
                          5. Colorado"

All states should be available for indexing within about 2 weeks. Peak indexing is expected Saturday thru Monday, so weekday contributors are especially appreciated.

anyone with a PC or a Mac can help index!
                          Thanks
                          I think that this could be misleading, its not available to search yet, just to index at the moment, but the more people that register and begin indexing for Familysearch the better, as then we all get to benefit from the records.

I will be doing some indexing for them, and will also have a 'go' at the 1940 census and see how easy it is.
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Never done indexing before how do you start, who do you have to contact?

Thanks

Linda

Comment

if you click on this link Linda it will take you to the page.

The 1940 Census, taken on April 1, 1940, was the sixteenth census conducted since 1790. The population of the United States at that time totaled 131,669,275 within the continental United States.
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Foiled!

I had two potential addresses for Errant Grandfather in 1940:
                                • 303 W Drayton, Ferndale, Oakland, MI : 1 Dec 1936 (for Social Security No. application) & 27 Apr 1942 (Draft card DSS Form1 - "Old Man's Draft") [ED 82-147 img 5 of 44]
                                • 41 Midland Ave, Highland Park, MI : 1 Jun 1939 (naturalisation documentation) [ED 63-40A img 22 of 34]

There appear to be no BENNETTs at either address in 1940!

The prospect of trawling the whole of the Royal Oak, Ferndale, & Highland Park areas of Detroit doesn't much appeal... though I do find myself wondering if I might find him at more than one address ;) !

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Julie, I was impatient and thought this might get missed so I started another post.

Thanks again

Linda

Comment

You can see how the 1940 indexing is progressing in the volunteer project:
                                    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

It's not clear to me how soon they'll start releasing the index itself - i.e., when a state is 100% indexed, will they release it? Of course, the searches on the newly released could be a drain on the indexing project.
                                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 06-04-12, 05:35.

Comment

Familysearch has answered a nagging question - when will the volunteer index become available?

"After a state has been completely indexed, it takes about a week for processing and formatting before a state census index is ready to post online. If there are problems, it could take a few additional days. As soon as a state is ready to post, it will be posted on FamilySearch.org and will be available free of charge to the general public.
                                      "

Delaware index is now online with images.
                                      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 13-04-12, 03:43.

Comment

california will be handy, there is a renegade uncle i need to find!

Comment

Working...
                                        X