Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be the benefit of enlisting numerous times ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be the benefit of enlisting numerous times ?

I had a thorough search on FMP yesterday and found my Grandfather had enlisted numerous times in different regiments between 1895 and 1898 and seems to have been discharged within a short time on each one as being unfit?
    He then went on to enlist in the Army in 1915 I cannot understand why he would repeatedly join up ? and why the Army let him ?
    Also on some of them he has given a different rellies name as next of kin and says address unknown ? except for one where he gives his Mothers and Sisters names which are correct but he also names 3 Brothers which as far as I know he didn't have all at the same address except by one it says in The East Surrey Regiment ?
    Would love some opinions on this thanks

Perhaps he was determined to join up, and didn't regard any one rejection as being final. You need to remember that the army - even now - is not one homogeneous body, but is made up of lots of separate bits, mostly called "regiments" as far as I understand it (you'll gather that my forces knowledge is limited mainly to RAF!). In years past, there were no computerised records to make it easy to spot serial enlisters, either.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks Christine I did wonder if they got money for joining up ?? I'm sure I heard something like that some time ago must google.
      It also does not explain why he didn't know his family or their addresses?

Comment

Is it possible he might have been, AHEM, in drink when he signed up? I believe it was fairly common practice to recruit men in pubs, by buying them lots to drink. The enlister got the King's shilling, the recruiter got Brownie points.

OC

Comment

now that would make sense OC he did like his drink but then do did my nan , I wouldn't be surprised she sent him out to enlist .;)

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            now that would make sense OC he did like his drink but then do did my nan , I wouldn't be surprised she sent him out to enlist .;)
            I know I shouldn't Val, but your family does make me laugh ;):D
            Jackie

Comment

Jackie laugh away, I giggled all through reading his army records, he sold his uniform too , bashed his commanding Officer and got imprisoned for it, was stationed in France went missing and was found in London ? I could go on and on, oh and tried to claim for Teeth he reckoned went bad in the War ? he never did get the money lol.
              What really made me laugh was he joined up 2 Sep 1896 went into Hospital the 18th to the 29th for a Hernia and was sent out with a Truss and discharged the 12th October 1896 must be about the shortest service record ever. dont know how he managed to give my Nan 15 kids ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                Jackie laugh away, I giggled all through reading his army records, he sold his uniform too , bashed his commanding Officer and got imprisoned for it, was stationed in France went missing and was found in London ? I could go on and on, oh and tried to claim for Teeth he reckoned went bad in the War ? he never did get the money lol.
                What really made me laugh was he joined up 2 Sep 1896 went into Hospital the 18th to the 29th for a Hernia and was sent out with a Truss and discharged the 12th October 1896 must be about the shortest service record ever. dont know how he managed to give my Nan 15 kids ?
                Jackie

Comment

Working...
                X