Can anyone read the surname please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone read the surname please?

Moses son of James and Betty ????? of Blackburn.

Thanks

I think the first letter is a G as this next one shows George and Mary Barns

Last edited by Katarzyna; 30-03-12, 23:49.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

i think it's 'gause'. the 'u' is the same as in blaiseburn, and the 's' is the same in moses.

Comment

nnow that you've said it's 'blackburn' the town looks like 'blaikburn'

Comment

I thought it was Gause as well, but the 'n' at the end of Blackburn looks similar to the 'u' so it could be Ganse.
        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I'd say Ganse as with those thick nibs the up stroke was from the fine edge and as we can see did not leave a mark of ink.
          Margaret

Comment

Thanks for your imput. It is definitely Blackburn btw. Ganse is such an uncommon name and German I think in origin.
            Kat

Comment

Kat

LANOPC have transcribed the surname as Gorse - which was a fairly common local name and I think more likely than GAWSE etc. Lower Darwen/Blackburn was fairly isolated at that time and I would be surprised if there was a German family (especially with the forname James) in the area.

Another possible surname is Goose.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                Kat
                <snip>

Another possible surname is Goose.

OC
                Of course - then you're back to a German name - or, at least, one with its roots in Germany, since that's a Teutonic link: Ganze/Goose. I think a Hanser (G/H can be close) is an East Anglian name for a kind of goose. I think someone suggested that Hamlet's "I can tell a hawk from a handsaw" might really have been "a hawk from a hanser".

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No, I think in this case it's down to the recorder not understanding the local accent, when GORSE would be pronounced "GOWSE" or GAUSE. It is spelled in a variety of ways down the centuries but the family goes back to the 1500s in the local church records

Of course, it might have had German roots originally but by the 1600s certainly, it was a local Lancashire name.

OC

Comment

Thanks for that OC and Christine. Never thought to check it in Lancs OPC.
                    Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      No, I think in this case it's down to the recorder not understanding the local accent, when GORSE would be pronounced "GOWSE" or GAUSE. It is spelled in a variety of ways down the centuries but the family goes back to the 1500s in the local church records

Of course, it might have had German roots originally but by the 1600s certainly, it was a local Lancashire name.

OC
                      Ah - I see what you mean. I was forgetting that this record was unlikely to have been written down by the person/people who supplied the info, so there was an immediate opportunity for mistranscription (or equivalent).

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                      X