William Lane in 1841

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Lane in 1841

William Lane, my 2GF, was born in Bisley, Glos, in 1816, the son of Edward and Mary Lane. His parents and siblings appear in the 1841 census as living in Cheltenham but not William [353 57 14]. I have tried to find him on FMP but without success although he does reappear in 1851 where he is at Stratford Mill, Stroud. Searching for him on Ancestry brings up three likely candidates but, not having a current Ancestry sub, I cannot see the details. Could someone shed any light, please?

william Lane, carpenter.
    b 1817 Gloucester
    living reg dist. Stow in the Wold,
    others listed in household.
    Hannah Lane wife, b 1819 Gloucester.
    Jane Lane b 1839 Gloucester.
    Class: HO107; Piece: 366; Book: 7; Civil Parish: Little Rissington; County: Gloucestershire;

William Lane born Gloucester. ( listed as William Jane)

also in household
    Harvey Lane head 1781 Gloucester.
    Jane Lane 1786 "
    Bridgette 1823 "
    Class: HO107; Piece: 351; Book: 10; Civil Parish: Northleach; County: Gloucestershire
    Last edited by Janet H.; 30-03-12, 18:38.

Comment

William Lane a stonemason born 1814 Gloucester.
      at Gloucester
      St. Mary De Lode.
      Class: HO107; Piece: 356; Book: 9; Civil Parish: St Mary de Lode; County: Gloucestershire
      Gloucester Lunatic Asylum

no other Lanes listed
      Last edited by Janet H.; 30-03-12, 18:42.

Comment

Thanks Janet. Sadly none of them fit. Seems that somehow the enumerators missed William.

Comment

or he is one of the above, but you have ruled him out for some reason.

Comment

who did he marry and when, maybe one of us could try and work back rather than forward to see if we can find him.

Comment

He married Martha Lawrence in January, 1845 in Stroud, Glos. That rules out the first William. My William's father was Edward and his mother Mary ruling out the second one. The stonemason? Could be but it's by no means certain. The age is wrong and there's no subsequent record of him being other than a miller.

Comment

hi again
                have you got williams birth cert ?
                if you have what is his mothers maiden name,

Comment

none of the trees on A*ry have the 1841 for William

Comment

Re the ages, bear in mind that on the 1841 enumerators were supposed to round the age down to the nearest 5 years for any one over 15 (they didn't always do this). Given that he is shown as 34 on the 1851, if he was consistent about his age, I would have thought he could have been shown as 20 on the 1841

There's this one in Bisley, Stroud - I can't make out the occupation but it looks to be the same as in 1851.

Stratford William Lane (transcribed as Lano on Ancestry) 20 ???man

Here he is in 1851 to compare

Jackie

Comment

Thanks, guys, for you help.

Janet, his mother was Mary Lane nee Gawn.

Jackie, looks promising but the links don't work without an Ancestry sub. Do you have the Piece, Folio and Page numbers, please, so I can find it in FMP?

Comment

Sorry, should have given those before.

HO107, piece 349, book 13, folio 3, page 1

HO107, piece 1965, folio 229, page 2
                        Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Found the likely candidate in FMP thanks to your reference and will have words with FMP! He is living at Stratford, Stroud, which is where Stratford Mill is, his home in 1851. As to his occupation, it seems to say 'Cl' what ever that may be. Your earlier posting seemed to indicate you had also found one in Bisley, a village just outside Stroud, or were you referring to the same one?

Comment

Now there's a funny thing! Every time I've tried to find the likely William before FMP has consistently failed to find him. Now, when I just tried again, there he is! Didn't change the search parameters but got a different result. Very odd!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dugless View Post
                              Hi Jackie,

Found the likely candidate in FMP thanks to your reference and will have words with FMP! He is living at Stratford, Stroud, which is where Stratford Mill is, his home in 1851. As to his occupation, it seems to say 'Cl' what ever that may be. Your earlier posting seemed to indicate you had also found one in Bisley, a village just outside Stroud, or were you referring to the same one?
                              I was referring to the one I gave the reference to. The description of the enumerator's schedule says it is the "Hundred of Bisley" and the parish of Stroud

According to this "Cl" refers to clerk but the head of the household was a mealman (if I'm reading it correctly), which was William Lane's occupation in 1851

Jackie

Comment

Many, many thanks to all of you who helped resolve my problems showing once again the value of Family Tree Forum. Particular thanks to Jackie for the link to the 1841 census enumerators' notes now safely archived in my useful info file.

Comment

Working...
                                X