Find My Past Blog - The father of low-carb diets in our parish records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - The father of low-carb diets in our parish records

We’ve just spotted a bit of a character in the Westminster parish records that were published earlier this week and thought we’d share his story with you. The record below details the baptism of William Banting, son of Thomas and Ann, on 11 December 1796 at St Martin in the Fields.
    William Banting's baptism record from the Westminster parish records

William Banting grew up to become the father of the low-carbohydrate diet when he published a pamphlet entitled A Letter on Corpulence, Addressed to the Public in 1863. The pamphlet detailed the diet that had helped Banting (an overweight undertaker – we said he was a character!) lose weight, namely by cutting out bread, butter, milk, sugar, beer, soup, potatoes and beans and replacing them with meat and fish.
    Following the publication of his pamphlet, the term ‘banting’ or ‘to bant’ began to be used when people referred to diets and is still used today in some languages. Have you come across the phrase before? We’ve spotted it in Graham Greene’s novel Travels with my Aunt which was published in 1969 - over 100 years after Banting’s diet guide!

More...

Please note: This post has originated from a news feed from an external website.
    Family Tree Forum neither endorses nor is responsible for the views of the author or any other content.
Working...
X