Judith/judeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judith/judeth

Frederick Meyers first wife Judith also known as Judeth was born in the UK c. 1788 and married Frederick in London in 1811. He was first pinged and sent to Hobart as a convict and Judith decided to get pinged as she could not live on her own with 3 boys. She was sent to the women’s factory in Parramatta and wrote many letters to the Governor who eventually allowed her to finish off her sentence with Frederick. Sadly she died from drowning a few years later on 18 June 1825 in Pittwater, Tasmania. Have information on the trial in London and her arrival on the ship to Sydney, but have never been able to find out any more details about her maiden name and family. Was she Jewish?

her surname?
    Jess

Comment

how do you know she was married in 1811, but not have a maiden name?

Comment

Hi, oops, that doesn't make sense does it. Sorry. Their first child was born c.1811, presume married that year or prior. Don't have her maiden name.

Comment

i had wondered whether the convict records had said something. i take it they didnt say where she was born?

Comment

No parents' names on her death cert?

Comment

Humm...sorry to sounds vague. I'm helping a pal with this so have reported back to ask a lot more.

Comment

Frederick MEYERS, b. 5th June, 1785, Bremen, son of Herman Meyer, married around 1810-1812 London to Judeth UNKNOWN b.1788 London d.1825 in Pittwater. First child born London, 1812. FATAL ACCIDENT.-On the 18th inst. as Mrs. Judith Myers, of Pitt Water, was proceeding in the ferry-boat towards the Bluff, it unfortunately upset, in consequence of which she almost immediately expired, leaving to lament her a large family and a most affectionate husband. The deceased was in the prime of life. The boat was navigated but by one man; and we hope that in future so dangerous a passage may never be attempted without more assistance. As the deceased was but a few minutes under water, and as life did not appear to be quite extinct, there is every reason to suppose that had the usual means of resuscitation been employed, she might have been immediately restored.

Comment

can't see anything on ancestry or findmypast. that doesn't mean it's not mangled though lol

Comment

I've had a good look at the London marriages and baptisms, but I can't see anything even vaguely similar. There again, if they were Jewish, they wouldn't be listed under the C of E events.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I don't think they were Jewish, but at least one of their sons married a Jewess. We know a son was born in 1812, but maybe they married earlier than that, 1804 would make Judith/Judeth around 16 and so on. Unless they weren't married and it was by assumption somehow, mind you, Judith was treated as the 'wife'. Her trial was at Surrey. The surname doesn't help either, Myers, Mayer, Mayers, Meirs, Meyer...

Comment

Working...
                      X