Valuation Rolls go live on Scotlands People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valuation Rolls go live on Scotlands People

Hi got an email re this and thought I would share - I have already located my great grandfathers on them

"The Valuation Rolls in Scotland Go Online for the First Time
    The ScotlandsPeople Team is delighted to announce the launch of the Valuation Rolls (VRs) in Scotland for 1915.

This is the first time that the rolls have been published online, allowing genealogists, local historians and other researchers to view images of entries in the rolls. Fully searchable both by name and address, the Valuation Rolls provide a fascinating snapshot of Scotland during the First World War, and will be a valuable resource for family history researchers.

What Do the Rolls Contain?
    The rolls record the names of owners, tenants and occupiers of each property, unlike the full lists of family members to be found in the censuses. Usually the named person is the head of the household, but sometimes a husband and wife might be listed. Frequently, the wife is the named tenant of rented property.

Why Were the Valuation Rolls Set Up?
    The Valuation Rolls were created so that the authorities could set local rates. The purpose was to assess property by its annual rental value. This was either the value of the rent paid by the tenant, or a notional rental value if the owner occupied their own property. The burgh and county assessors did not list properties individually that were worth below £4 annual rental value.

Special Introductory Offer for the Launch of the Valuation Rolls
    To celebrate the launch of the Valuation Rolls (VR), for an introductory period, the cost of viewing a VR image will be will be 2 credits rather than 5

Looks pretty good

Steven
    Last edited by stevie2006; 28-03-12, 21:45.

You've had better luck than me then!
    I bought £7 worth of credits and used them up looking for all my lot - not a single find :-(
    Karen x

Comment

they will eventually release them going back to 1855, that's when they should be of more help to me! though i wish they had them for earlier too!

Comment

Working...
      X