Electoral Rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral Rolls

Maybe a silly question but if you had more than one property that you rented or owned would you have had to put your name down for both districts ?
    And was it compulsory to fill them in each year?

I have a couple like that, My Great Uncle 1922 in Lambeth, living at 71 Cornwall Road, in brackets next to it.(Abode 8 Lyham Road)

I know he lived at 8 Lyham Road and his daughter had lived in Cornwall Road, a few minutes walk away. Perhaps they were both his houses.

Don't know if this helps

Linda

Comment

I know this couple didnt own one of the properties not sure about the other ? thanks Linda

Comment

You only get one vote in a parliamentary election, so you only appear once in the Rolls. However, I think at one time you could vote in borough elections where ever you owned property (owned, not rented).

EDIT - Only recently has it become compulsory to register to vote. Before that, it was up to you to put yourself onto the roll.

OC
        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 28-03-12, 20:37.

Comment

thats interesting OC the reason I asked is because this was a shady couple , so was surprised to see them registered ?

Comment

You don't say when this was, but definitely at one time, once you were on the roll, you had to tell them to take you off, so maybe your shady couple registered once and then forgot.

My daughter went into the forces in 1985 and asked for a postal vote from our address. Up to about five years ago, the envelope kept appearing, even though she never lived at our house again! I tried to change it but was told that she must do it herself. It's all different now of course.

OC

Comment

I cant say too much OC but there was something real dodgy going on.

Comment

I think now the form asks the householder to give the names of all those living at the address who are entitled to vote on the given date in October each year and there is a fine (£1000?) for failing to fill it in accurately and fully.

As OC says you are only entitled to vote once in one place so don't get put on more than one register at a time nowadays.
                Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, I have had fun this evening adding them to my tree got a few surprises.

Comment

in the mid 19th century i have family in different boroughs on the electoral rolls. but i'm sure if they owned property, they had to have it all listed. i found like 5 properties i was unaware of, and then a complete terrace on top of that!

Comment

hi Kyle I am almost sure these people did not own the properties ?

Comment

My student son is on both the electoral roll here and at University, but they are only supposed to vote once at a general election. Not sure whether about the vote for council elections
                        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

thanks Linda , I am double checking this lot

Comment

whay years are they val? if it's 20th century, they probably didn't have to own it, but if it's 19th century, then maybe they did.

Comment

I may have been wrong Kyle it may not be them

Comment

Working...
                              X