Merchant Navy 1950 plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merchant Navy 1950 plus

I have someone who was in the Merchant navy and wondererd if there are any records available to find out more about him.
    Not able to give the name as he may still be alive

Records that recent will be private I'm sure.

OC

Comment

There is a link to the research guide for the Merchant Navy (TNA) on our Military Research page in the reference library.

Elaine

Comment

The records for this period are open at the National Archives - see the link given by Elaine.
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the link... had a look but not found him.....

Comment

Oh, gosh, sorry - I imagined that all post WW2 service records would be private or only available to next of kin!

OC

Comment

Don't blame you OC - you'd expect that, wouldn't you? Meanwhile Army/RAF records from the 1920's are STILL not publicly available!
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I had reason to look for Merchant navy records and found out that the TNA only held the years ending in 0 or 5 example 1900 or 1905, the rest were purchased by the Canadian authorities, history museum I believe, dont know what year it starts and finished on, as I was lucky to find what I was looking for.
                Robert Purnell

Comment

Robert

I believe it's the crew lists which have been kept for 0 and 5 years, rather than service records.

Comment

There are the MN "burses"† (? think that's the term!) around. I believe there's one for my cousin - who was b in the 1940s. The have some personal service info, I believe.

Christine

†EDIT - the term is "pouches". They're under BT 372.
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 01-04-12, 13:59.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                    X