Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please - Charles Edward Braun & Louisa Mary Braun

Calling all you experts.

Charles Edward Braun was born April 1, 1872 and his sister Louisa Mary Braun was born 15 February, 1870 both in Paddington, London. They had sisters Fanny Georgina, Amelia Harriett, Elizabeth Ann, Florence May, and Winifred Daisy and a brother Frederick George, and their parents were Frederick Alexander Braun and Harriett Braun (nee Beaton).

Although I can trace their sisters’ and brother’s spouses and descendants (if any) I can find neither a marriage record nor a death record for either Charles or Louisa.

Louisa Mary Braun appears in 1911 UK census records, sometimes as Brann, living with her sister Winifred Daisy. The latest census in which Charles Edward appears is the one for 1881.

Apart from some school admission records I have hit a brick wall, even trying name derivatives such as Brann, Brawn, and Brown and doing searches with forenames reversed, i.e. Edward Charles and Mary Louisa. I’ve also tried several possible transcription errors all to no avail. :(

I have their birth certificates but no further clues there. Any ideas what I could try next? Thanks all.

was Charles also know as Charles Edward W Braun ?
    there is a marriage for him in Islington in Jun 1904 1B 705 to either
    Ellen Lynch or Ethel Ida Broderick
    Last edited by Guest; 26-03-12, 16:24.

Comment

There is a Charles Edward W Braun birth Val in Dec 1874 St Saviour.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

To confirm what Chrissie Smiff has said I'd found a separate Charles Edward W Braun but he was born 1874. The Charles Edward I am seeking does not have a third forename.

Comment

okay

Comment

Hello,

I googled ' Charles Edward Braun, UK' and this came up.

Charles E. Braun and Co.
            34 and 36 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1

1929 Listed exhibitor in the 1929 British Industries Fair.
            Braun and Co was a moderately priced manufacturer of Amphorite pottery - vases, basins loos etc.

I wonder if this might be your Charles Braun ?

bcbrit
            George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Hello,

I have done a quick search through ancestry.ca and com - but nothing springs out as the correct Charles Braun.

I did wonder if perhaps they changed their name due to anti - German sentiment during the two wars ?
              George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Funny you should say that bcbrit. I have just been cross checking the Charles Braun births and deaths and I believe that one of the other Charles E Braun's possibly died as a brown. The problem with that is that there are quite a number of Charles E Brown born 1872 deaths to choose from. Many in the London area.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
                  Hello,

I googled ' Charles Edward Braun, UK' and this came up.

Charles E. Braun and Co.
                  34 and 36 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1

1929 Listed exhibitor in the 1929 British Industries Fair.
                  Braun and Co was a moderately priced manufacturer of Amphorite pottery - vases, basins loos etc.

I wonder if this might be your Charles Braun ?

bcbrit
                  Definitely a possibility I guess, bcbrit. I found an entry in the British Phone Book of 1903 where 'BRAUN Chas.E.' is listed at 93 Linden Gardens, and the entry immediately above is 'BRAUN C.E. & Co., Whle Fancy Whse' at 36 Grays Inn Road. Certainly worth seeing if I can check out further. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                    Funny you should say that bcbrit. I have just been cross checking the Charles Braun births and deaths and I believe that one of the other Charles E Braun's possibly died as a brown. The problem with that is that there are quite a number of Charles E Brown born 1872 deaths to choose from. Many in the London area.
                    Exactly Chrissie. I started to obtain a death certificate or two on potential Charles Edward Brown's with a birth year of 1872. Unfortunately with little success. But I appreciate you looking into it.

Comment

Working...
                    X