1833 Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1833 Death

2nd great Grandfather died 1833 at Peasemarsh Kent. As it is before official registration/s, how would this death have been recorded. His burial comes under Staplehurst 1873-1873 at reference 510. 1833.

Would he have been residing at Peasemarsh when he died, and would his death entry record any further information e.g, how he died? etc.

I think what I am really asking is, before official regs....what type of information re bmd's was collected and or recorded/held?

This is the first time I have considered this type of knowledge, am I'm pretty much in the dark.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Jen

What is recorded in the parish registers was entirely at the whim of whoever recorded it. I have seen some which record the cause of death, others which give only a name, not even an age.

You cannot know what is recorded until you look at the original record.

OC

Comment

Suppose I was hoping for the moon then OC lol! I figured as much. I asked this question now beacuse I am off to Kent for Easter, and pass through Peasemarsh.....so wondering if it's worth a visit.
      Jen

Comment

It'll only be worth a visit if the original register is still held in the church, which is quite unlikely. More likely to be in the County Records Office.

OC

Comment

When you get to see the parish register entry for the burial it will probably say where he was residing. It is one of the boxes which should have been filled in. No guarantees though!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            It'll only be worth a visit if the original register is still held in the church, which is quite unlikely. More likely to be in the County Records Office.

OC
            Foiled again then OC!
            Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
              When you get to see the parish register entry for the burial it will probably say where he was residing. It is one of the boxes which should have been filled in. No guarantees though!

Anne
              Thanks Anne, not all together promising then either. Never know though, I might get lucky.
              Jen

Comment

It's worth checking to see if there's a tombstone, in case there's any useful information on it. And if he's buried in a municipal cemetery rather than the church one, it's often worth checking the council's burial register, which sometimes has the cause of death, and should tell you who else is buried with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
                  Suppose I was hoping for the moon then OC lol! I figured as much. I asked this question now beacuse I am off to Kent for Easter, and pass through Peasemarsh.....so wondering if it's worth a visit.
                  I would suggest contacting the records office, and the cemetery staff, and the parish church vicar just in case the parish register is still there - I had a wonderful time in Gulval, Cornwall a few years ago poring over the parish register which was at that time still kept locked in the church safe.
                  Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    It's worth checking to see if there's a tombstone, in case there's any useful information on it. And if he's buried in a municipal cemetery rather than the church one, it's often worth checking the council's burial register, which sometimes has the cause of death, and should tell you who else is buried with him.
                    Somehow I can't see there being a tombstone Mary, he was only married four years before he died and they had 3 children in that time.....his wife then went on to have 2 further children, giving them his name, so I doubt she could afford one. But you never know, as I discovered she later went on to marry a man with property, so may have got a headstone later? So could be worth considering just in case.
                    Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                      I would suggest contacting the records office, and the cemetery staff, and the parish church vicar just in case the parish register is still there - I had a wonderful time in Gulval, Cornwall a few years ago poring over the parish register which was at that time still kept locked in the church safe.
                      Yes, I will try the local parish church vicar Joy, I could get lucky and won't know unless I try. Thanks for everyones thoughts on this.
                      Jen

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only Peas(e)marsh I know is in East Sussex. A few miles NW of Rye.
                        Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Comment

On googling Lesley it appears to be the same one but comes up under Kent. Though VERY close to East Sussex.

p.s. It also comes up under East Sussex, so I don't think they can make their minds up House sales come under Kent.
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 26-03-12, 12:41.
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Ohhhhhh Linda, you never know who you might bump into. Paul McCartney lives in Peasmarsh according to Wikipedia
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

It is definitely in East Sussex but close to the border. It is not near to Staplehurst, Kent though.

Yes, Paul MCcartney does a have a house in Peasmarsh but don't try asking any locals where it is as they are very protective of him and his family.
                              Last edited by lesley141; 26-03-12, 12:52.
                              Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Comment

Thanks Lesley and Chris. We do pass through Peasemarsh to get to our destination and I do know where Paul lives, my daughter pointed his place out to me, the first time I went there several years back. There is a particular landmark on his site, which I won't mention here, though some may all ready know of what I speak lol! But his land is vast and well protected.
                                Jen

Comment

A quick google tells me that all the early registers for Peasmarsh have been deposited at East Sussex Records Office - burial register from 1813 onwards.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    A quick google tells me that all the early registers for Peasmarsh have been deposited at East Sussex Records Office - burial register from 1813 onwards.

OC
                                    Many thanks for that OC, you've saved me a fruitless search then.
                                    Jen

Comment

The Sussex Family History Group website has burials for Peasemarsh for the period you are interested in (though you have to be a member to access that part), I don't know if there are any additional notes for your chap.

Comment

I've noted down the details and contact number for the East Sussex RO in Lewes, and times of opening, if I get a chance, I will try and get there.

Jill I'm not a member of SFHG. Are you asking me to give you further details Jill do you have access?
                                        Jen

Comment

Working...
                                        X