Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brickwall! Can't find my ancestor's death date!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickwall! Can't find my ancestor's death date!

I am trying to find out when my ancestor died and I thought I would just see if any of you have any ideas! I have tried looking in various places, but he just isn't anywhere! My ancestor has an unusual surname so he should be relatively easy to find, so far I have tried:
    - England and Wales Death indexes 1837 - 1915
    - London Deaths and Burials 1813 - 1980
    - England and Wales National Probate Records 1861 - 1941
    - I did an ancestry.co.uk search for any relevant records in the US, Canada, Scotland, France, Germany, Australia and New Zealand!
    - British Newspaper Archives
    - British Library
    - London Gazette
    - England and Wales Criminal Registers

He is mentioned in newspapers quite a bit during his life, but no notice of his death. He had various houses throughout the UK and a house in Scotland, I think he had property in Belgium too. His brother lived in Wisconsin, but I can't find anything there either.

If anyone here can think of a record I haven't looked at yet, please let me know. I think he probably died between 1875 and 1888, perhaps in London, Kent, Devon or Scotland. The last thing I have on him is a newspaper article about a cousin of his who "harboured" and "abetted" my ancestor over some forged cheques. They were both cleared of this, so he isn't in any prison records.

I just don't understand why he isn't in the death indexes, where everyone is!

If he has an unusual surname, maybe it's been mistranscribed.

Why not post his details here and see if someone can find him for you?

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thank you for replying! His name was Samuel Lancaster Lucas or sometimes he was known as Samuel Lucas Lancaster. I have searched for just "lucas" and just "lancaster" to no avail. He was born 1828 in Kent.

Comment

On Ancestry, there is a record on a private tree saying he died on 6 Feb 1894, and showing a copy of the death announcement. It says he was the son of Samuel Lancaster and Mary Frances Lucas. Would that be the one?
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Looking a bit further I think it is actually his wife who died in 1894, not him. Can't find her death on BMD indexes either though.
          Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
            Looking a bit further I think it is actually his wife who died in 1894, not him. Can't find her death on BMD indexes either though.
            I thought this was the wife in the 1901 census (unless I am following the wrong family!)
            Elaine

Comment

An extract on Google books shows him dying in 1894 - but doesn't say where!
              http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=u...201894&f=false
              Elaine

Comment

Yes, that was the date I previously believed he died as I found this on the peerage.com and similar places but I know this just can't be right - please can you tell what the name of the private tree you saw this in?

His daughter (my G Grandma) was married in 1888 and according the newspaper article she was given away by her brother - which suggests Samuel was dead. Also found other articles about weddings and events where only Mrs Lancaster Lucas was listed, not her husband. There is one article in particular in 1891 detailing a bankruptcy of Samuel's son William, which gives details of the various business deals William and Samuel did saying "this happened years ago" and that William was now on a monthly allowance of £100 "from his mother". Just looking over all my clippings from that period suggests he's dead, especially as before he was in there quite a bit due to his various property and business dealings.

If I do a direct search on Feb 1894 in the death indexes, there are no results.

Comment

I wasn't sure as the wording in the books was a bit ambiguous, but that is her in 1901, so he must have died in 1894. I see in 1891 census she is married but head of household. Wonder where Samuel had gone.

Also an earlier thread here started by Guybrush last year titled "The plot thickens" talks about them. Don't know how to put a link up.
                  Linda

Comment

Thank you for helping! Mary died in 1902, definitely because I have been to her grave!

Comment

Linda! I have seen that thread - and have messaged Guybrush ages ago but he didn't reply!!!

Comment

you said he owned property in scotland. have you looked on scotlandspeople for a death?

Comment

I haven't tried Scotlandspeople! I have just signed up with them and did a search, but no luck. Thank you so much for your suggestion though, I have some other ancestors with Scottish roots, so that is a really helpful site!

Comment

Have you tried contacting the submitters of the Ancestry trees to see if they can give you a source for the death date.
                            Elaine

Comment

Thank you for your help Elaine....I shall ask and see.

Comment

Working...
                              X