William Adie - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Adie - help

Hi I thought it best to start a new thread on William Adie who was married to my great aunt Rose Ward.

I received Rose's death certificate and it says she was a widow of William Johnston Adie and she died on 5th May 1969 in Romford so he must have been dead by then.

They married in Poplar on 8th November 1924 and his occupation was Private in the Royal Army Ordanance Corps. On Rose's death certificate he was listed as a Postman. The address on Rose's death certificate was 33 Langhome Road, Dagenham.

William's father on the marriage certificate was George Adie - occupation farmer and his address was given as the Barracks, Bromley near Basingstoke. Rose's address was 7 Merchant Street, Bromley.

Rose is buried in Chadwell Heath but William is not noted on the stone. Rose's sond Eric Leonard Adie is on it with her

Deceased's name
    Adie Rose
    Grave detail - Grave reference
    C/H / KK / 6958

In the same grave is
    Surname - Adie
    Forename - Eric Leonard
    Burial date - 26 / 07 / 1994
    Location - Chadwell Heath Cemetery
    Register Number - 15168
    Age - 64 Years
    Grave detail - Grave reference
    C/H / KK / 6958

AS per a previous post the last time I have Rose on the ER's is staying with Eric Rolfe and Isabella Rolfe is at St Ann's Road, Stepney in 1931 but NO William

Would anyone be able to help me find out what happened to William?

Thanks as always

Steven
    Last edited by stevie2006; 24-03-12, 17:35.

There is a death for a William J Adie aged 48 in Pancras, London in JFM qtr 1935.
    Vol 1b page 32
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Probably not your man :(. I found a William John Adie on the London electoral rolls in St Pancras until 1934 with a wife(?) Lorraine, so that's probably his death.

Sorry - back to the drawing board ;)

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Have a look at this http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...rc=&pid=816738 on Ancestry for 1929 British Postal Service Records - William Adie appointed a Postman.

Just trying to narrow down when he might have died.
        Margaret

Comment

What year of birth do you have for William please?
          Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret thanks for the link that must be him. The postman theme runs right through the family. Rose's brother in laws Solomon Smith and Arthur McKanna were both postmen.

Re his age I don't have his birth but he was age 27 when he married in 1924 so it must be around 1897 ish. The problem is I don't know where he was born and don't have him on the 1901 or 1911 census.

Thanks for looking Margaret and Sue

Steven

Comment

I also tried looking for a WW1 service record as that might produce more information but nothing that I can find so far.

Steven

Comment

As he was serving at the time of their marriage - William's army record shouldn't be with the records on Ancestry - but still with the Veteran's Agency

Interesting the use of William's middle name on Rose's death cert - presumably he didn't use it on the marriage cert (otherwise you would have mentioned it before) and he didn't use it for his Post Office appointment - see http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33483/pages/2295 - to confirm that

Have you told us who registered Rose's death?

Did you ever get a chance to check out the 1896 birth of a William Adie on Scotland's People?

Good Luck - and congrats on your perseverance!!

Comment

Just a tiny thing too - I'm pretty sure it's actually Langho r n e Road in Dagenham rather than Langho m e

Went for another quick look at the Barking and Dagenham Cemeteries site - but it seems to be incredibly "fragile" and is "down" once again unfortunately

Comment

Hi Sue I tried the birth in 1896 on SP last night and father was listed as Wiliam Davidson Adie occupation farmer but father was listed as George on the marriage certificate. Unless the marriage was transcribed incorrectly. This William was born in Aberdeen?

The person who registered her death was Eric Leonard Adie her son. I am guessing he never married as he is buried with Rose.

Re the service record where would I find that - I just assumed it would have been on ancestry but if he served on after the war is it held elsewhere?

I think I smell the sniff of a story here lol but it's a strange one. No birth, no death, no censuses or ER's - where is he????

Steven

Comment

Interestingly in 1925 a year after Rose and William marry he is on the ER at 7 Merchant Street the address that Rose was living at when they married but no Rose?

Mmmmm, in 1926 again still there but no Rose but there are 3 people at the same address, Ethel Canning and Annie and George Plantin. Same again in 1927

In 1928 I finally find Rose with William at 65 St Ann's Road, Stepney where I find Rose with the Rolfe's in 1931 - very confusing

Steven

Comment

Just checked Passenger lists and nothing coming up on those.
                        Margaret

Comment

Eric Leonard Adie born Stepney in 1930 but no sign of them in the Er's in 1930.

I still think why would Rose name her son after the friend/lodger and future husband of her sister Isabella ie Eric Leonard Rolfe

Steven

Comment

It's looking like they may have separated soon after the marriage - maybe she was pregnant and they married to make that right but then she lost the baby and they decided to call it quits. I would hazard a guess that Eric is not an Adie but would be a called that as it was Rose's name at the time of his birth.

Maybe she named the boy after Eric Leonard as he was someone who was protective towards her at a bad time as a mark of respect rather than anything more sinister. The Ward family strike me as loving and close so I wouldn't have thought there would have been a dalliance between one sisters and the other's fiancé.

Have you got Eric's birth cert? It could be no father's name is given which would tend to support my theory!
                            Margaret
                            Last edited by margaretmarch; 25-03-12, 10:13.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                              Interestingly in 1925 a year after Rose and William marry he is on the ER at 7 Merchant Street the address that Rose was living at when they married but no Rose?

Mmmmm, in 1926 again still there but no Rose but there are 3 people at the same address, Ethel Canning and Annie and George Plantin. Same again in 1927

In 1928 I finally find Rose with William at 65 St Ann's Road, Stepney where I find Rose with the Rolfe's in 1931 - very confusing

Steven
                              Would Rose have been eligible to vote at this time? Van't recall when women got full voting rights.
                              Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret I think it might be worth ordering the certificate. In 1930 Isabella was still married to Solomon (he didn't die until 1946) so maybe Rose became close to Eric and had a child or as you say he was a big character in the family, maybe helped her and out of respect named her child after him.

Steven

Comment

Married women under 30 were only granted the right to vote in 1928 by the Representation of the People (Equal Franchise) Act 1928. Prior to that there were certain conditions that had to be met for women to be allowed to vote from age 21.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Was Eric the only child of William and Rose Steven? I only ask because I have been trying to find another Adie/Ward marriage without success that would fit the birth of William Peter I Adie (mmn Ward) born Jan-March 1927 in West Ham, who died August 2002 in Waltham Forest. Also E******** R Adie (mmn Ward) July-Sept 1932 Romford.

Have removed full name as I suddenly realised that she could still be alive and I can't find a death. I did find a possible marriage though.
                                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-03-12, 11:18.
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

HI Chrissie just not sure if Rose had any other children. The marriage certificate I have for 1924 is 100% right as it matches her name, fathers name, occupation and that he was deceased

Just don't know what happened after about 1928 ish

Steven

Thanks for looking

Comment

Sorry Steven, I don't think I explained it very well. I wasn't suggesting you had the wrong marriage. I meant that I couldn't find ANOTHER Adie marriage to a Ward that would explain those other two births. So unless I have missed a marriage it would seem very likely that the other two were her children as well.
                                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                        X