Old German anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old German anyone

Can anyone make out anything on this entry - it's part of a collection relating to 3xggrandfathers marriage but has me stumped. I think it starts: In the year 1768, 22 september ....

There are some names in there somewhere!

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....69&wc=10719392
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

pm: EquilibriumYaw
    he's good at german!

Comment

The entry is actually from Holland:

I thought it was German at first, but I think it's Dutch.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Yes, the marriage took place in Arnhem, but the bride was originally from Germany and the preceding documents were all to do with who could give permission for her to marry (even though she was over 40 at the time) and were details of her parents birth, marriage and deaths in Germany and also her grandparents birth marriage and deaths etc. This is why I thought it might be German. If anyone can make out any names, that might help me determine where it's from, but I can't see anything on there that might be a name remotely resembling one of the family names. Aargh!!

Actually I think the title says - extract from the church book of Pyrmont. Very fancy writing. Pyrmont is roughly the area they came from. Might be a possibility.

Thanks for having a go.
        Linda

Comment

I'm undecided as to whether it's German or Dutch, purely because I can't read the writing!
          "wurde geboren" is German, but I don't know what it would be in Dutch.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
            Y
            Actually I think the title says - extract from the church book of Pyrmont. Very fancy writing. Pyrmont is roughly the area they came from. Might be a possibility.

Thanks for having a go.
            Yes, Auszug is the German for extract or summary. It's probably in German, as you say, Linda.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

The dutch for born is very similar - gebooren. A bit later on in the collection (image 394) is a letter that goes on for 4 pages that is in Dutch. I can get bits and pieces but it seems to go on about her grandfather a lot and I'm not too sure why. Considering that her grandmother who died in 1783 was born in 1709, I would be quite surprised if her grandfather were still alive, so why all this investigation into him. She was definitely old enough to marry (apart from the fact that she was 8 months pregnant). All very frustrating
              Linda

Comment

Sussed it - it was misfiled and refers to another couple who were married a couple of days later. That's why the names didn't match. If you're interested the names mentioned in the letter are Heinrich Christian Bernhard , son of Bernhard Muller and Catherine Maria Sudhaus. That writing is a definite challenge.
                Linda

Comment

Working...
                X