Found Marriage, - can't find them on Censuses:-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found Marriage, - can't find them on Censuses:-(

I have this Marriage, (from the Lancs Parish Clerk's Site) but I can't find William and Alice Wilson on the Censuses.
    Can anyone on here see them please?
    Thanks, Holly.

Marriage: 6 Sep 1852 St Mary the Virgin, Prestwich, Lancashire, England
    William Wilson - 23 Stonemason Bachelor of Back Lane
    Alice Kay - 21 Dressmaker Spinster of Back Lane, Prestwich
    Groom's Father: Henry Wilson, Stonemason
    Bride's Father: Benjamin Kay, Publican
    Witness: David Kay; Hannah Wilson
    Married by Banns by: Henry Mildred Birch, Curate
    Register: Marriages 1851 - 1852, Page 195, Entry 389
    Source: LDS Film 2356227

How about this one Holly in 1861-

and 2 more children on the next page -
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-03-12, 11:07.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

1861 - Prestwich Manchester, Clayton St.
      William b c 1823, mason
      Alice b c 1832,
      Mary Ellen, b c 1855
      Isaac, b c 1859
      Harriet, 1 month
      Last edited by herky; 23-03-12, 11:12.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

1871 - Alice is a widow, same children plus Janet b c 1866
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

If this is the same family as yours Holly???
          1881 - no change, Alice is a draper and the children are working, living at Rectory Lane, Prestwich
          Last edited by herky; 23-03-12, 11:23.
          herky

Comment

The death for William could possibly be one of at least three. Janet appears to have been born June 1865 Manchester and there are 2 William Wilson deaths in Manchester in June 1865 and one in March 1865. There are no deaths that fit his age after that (ages given from March 1867) in Manchester.

Comment

If it is the same family then it is pretty stable with Alice not remarrying.
              In Rectory Lane in 1891 and 1901 with daughter Janet and grandson Harry.
              herky

Comment

If Janet is b c 1865 then that would give an indication of the earliest the father could have died - I will try to find her birth reg.
                herky

Comment

Sorry my English geography is poor -
                  2 possible births for Janet (if she has no middle name)
                  3 Q 1865, Chorlton, Lancashire
                  2 Q 1865, Manchester, Lancashire

So that would match well with possible death dates of 1865, Chrissie??

ooooppps Chrissie - I am just repeating what you have said!!!!!!!!!
                  Great minds think alike!!!!!!
                  Last edited by herky; 23-03-12, 11:47.
                  herky

Comment

Sorry Herky, I had to go and didn't see your message. Yes, Prestwich came under Manchester until it had it's own registration in December 1874. So the birth of Janet would be Manchester and the death of William (as above).
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-03-12, 12:35.

Comment

I don't think you will find Alice in 1911 as I think she died before then. The most likely one being March 1903 aged 70 in Prestwich. One other possibility in June 1902 but only 67, so age a bit out.

Comment

I think we will have to wait for Holly to see if what we have found is confirmed as a match for her family.
                        However, I can't find her in the 1911 census so here are 2 possibles for a death.
                        1Q 1903, Prestwich, b c 1833
                        2Q 1902, Presrwich, b c 1835
                        herky

Comment

Chrissie - "I don't believe it" - in the words of Victor Meldrew. You got there before me.
                          herky

Comment

Snap Herky - beat you again Unusual for me as I am nearly always the last to find things lol :D

Comment

and snap again

Comment

Many Thanks for all the imput.

Sorry, I should have made it plain on my first post...

What I am trying to establish is whether William and Alice Wilson had a son, William James Wilson born about 1860/61. He was my missing Grandfather, - I've never been able to find him prior to the 1901 and 1911 Censuses in Swansea. He says quite clearly on them that he was born in Manchester, Lancs. and on his Marriage Cert, (Swansea 22/6/1893) he gives his father as 'William Wilson, (deceased) Occupation: Mason'.

And so as I'm totally stuck with William James Wilson, I thought I'd try to find his father instead. Sorry that I didn't make that clearer!
                                Holly.

Comment

Hi Holly do you know the mother's name of William b c 1860 - was it Alice?
                                  herky

Comment

Hi Holly, Do you know the mother's name of William b c 1860 - was it Alice?

Edit - oops making corrections and ended up with a double post - apologies
                                    Last edited by herky; 23-03-12, 13:47.
                                    herky

Comment

Hi herky,

I am making an assumption that his mother's name was Alice...reason being:

My Grandparents had six sons, the eldest was called William for his father and grandfather. The third son was initially registerted as a girl, 'Alice Rencella Wilson' born 8.8.1897. After 3 months, the Birth Cert was ammended as a 'clerical error' and the gender reassigned as male! The name was changed to 'Ernest Rencella Wilson'. There are no Alice's on my Grandmother's side, - Margaret Wilson (née Rees) 1867-1934. And so I am making the assumption that Ernest/Alice was named for William James Wilson's mother. (Of course I might be wrong, - but I feel that I am on track with this assumption).
                                      Holly.

Comment

There are 6 William James Wilsons b 1860-1862 in Lancashire.
                                        2 in Liverpool, 2 in W Derby, 1 in Ulverston, 1 in Preston
                                        also a
                                        James William Rose Wilson b in Liverpool, 1862
                                        Let me know which area (being a Scot my English geography is poor) is most likely.
                                        The other possibility is that the James was added after registration - I have quite a few who added an extra name unofficially (probably to please some relative or to commemorate a recently deceased relative)
                                        herky

Comment

Working...
                                        X