Home children - Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home children - Canada

I have a passenger record for Patty Alla(e)n Graham, 19yrs., arriving in Canada on the Corsican on 3/8/1912. She is a domestic. However the record in the National Archive of Canada has her listed as a home child. Any ideas as to why this is? ( She is a domestic servant in a private house on 1911 census.)
    Cath.

I think that a Home Child was under the care of the home until they were 21 and therefore they probably paid her fare to Canada.

She would have been sent out to service probably when she was 14, but would still have been under the supervision of the Home. She could not do anything without their sayso until she was 21.

OC

Comment

I thought a Home Child was one sent out by Dr Barnados ? try this link
      Last edited by Guest; 23-03-12, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        I think that a Home Child was under the care of the home until they were 21 and therefore they probably paid her fare to Canada.

She would have been sent out to service probably when she was 14, but would still have been under the supervision of the Home. She could not do anything without their sayso until she was 21.

OC
        That's exactly what we don't understand. If she is who we think she is, then her father was still alive and living just across the road from where she was in service in 1911.
        Cath.

Comment

did you read that link?

Comment

Home Children were not always orphans (as seems to be the case for your ancestor) and were often put into a Home (e.g. Barnardo's) as a result of some family breakdown. For example, the death of a parent or a remarriage of a parent would be enough for the child(ren) to be put into the care of, say, Barnardo's as the remaining family just could (or would) not cope. As she was in a "Group of Children Travelling Together" she was almost certainly from a home such as Barnardo's. If you contact them they will be able to tell you whether they have records for her which can often include a photograph, a background report on the circumstances, and details of her new life in Canada. They will quote a fee for carrying out this research and will provide it to you as long as you are directly related.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              did you read that link?

Yes thanks. I'd seen it already. Very interesting but no mention of Patty.
              Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                Home Children were not always orphans (as seems to be the case for your ancestor) and were often put into a Home (e.g. Barnardo's) as a result of some family breakdown. For example, the death of a parent or a remarriage of a parent would be enough for the child(ren) to be put into the care of, say, Barnardo's as the remaining family just could (or would) not cope. As she was in a "Group of Children Travelling Together" she was almost certainly from a home such as Barnardo's. If you contact them they will be able to tell you whether they have records for her which can often include a photograph, a background report on the circumstances, and details of her new life in Canada. They will quote a fee for carrying out this research and will provide it to you as long as you are directly related.
                Thanks Bertie,

Problem is; these young people are grouped together on a list in the National archive of Canada but on the passenger lists they don't appear to be travelling together. In fact, I can't find any connection between them at all.
                Cath.

Comment

Working...
                X