which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which one?

i have john crossfield marrying betty dibb at kirkby overblow in yorkshire in 1762. he is a husbandman from harewood, she a spinster of the parish. in harewood, they lived in a town called weardley, this is the address on the christenings of mary 1763, sarah 1765, and anne 1767. i believe i found john's burial in 1818 at harewood and elizabeth in 1822. her age is 82, born 1740.

there is an elizabeth dibb, dau of bernard and mary dibb in 1737 at kirkby overblow. and a betty dibb, dau of eleazar and mary dibb in 1742 at kirkby overblow. ancestry has it as 1792 though.

anyone want to hazard a guess as to which one is correct? i would go with betty, but that's simply because of her name spelled twice. she had no sons, so i can't say if either father's name was inherited.

Hi,

It would seem John and Betty had at least one son:- William, son of John and Betty Crosfield born 28 June 1769 and Baptised 1? August 1769 (date is in crease on page) at Harewood, All Saints. Living at Weardley.

There are also in the records another couple of sons, Samuel b. 4 April 1774 and Joseph b. 20 September 1777 to John and Elizabeth Crosfield living at Weardley and baptised at Harewood All Saints. You will have to decide if the Vicar was trying to be 'correct' in putting Elizabeth rather than Betty or is this another Crosfield family living in the same place.

Regards, Ian
    Last edited by tms11; 24-03-12, 06:32.

Comment

Hi,

It would seem John and Betty had at least one son:- William, son of John and Betty Crosfield born 28 June 1769 and Baptised 1? August 1769 (date is in crease on page) at Harewood, All Saints. Living at Weardley.

There are also in the records another couple of sons, Samuel b. 4 April 1774 and Joseph b. 20 September 1777 to John and Elizabeth Crosfield living at Weardley and baptised at Harewood All Saints. You will have to decide if the Vicar was trying to be 'correct' in putting Elizabeth rather than Betty or is this another Crosfield family living in the same place.

Regards, Ian
      Last edited by tms11; 24-03-12, 07:30.

Comment

hi, i was not aware of the sons. i think they are the same family, john was born c.1727 and in 1726 there is a john crosfield with father john, who has a sister catherine in 1735, john and betty had a daughter catherine in 1772, which i just discovered trying to find the sons christenings! i do have the cd for harewood until 1812, but i hadn't looked for this family at the time, because john and betty's daughter anne was the link, which at the time i could not prove.

i can't see the sons on ancestry, and it still doesn't help with betty/elizabeth's parentage!

Comment

haha found the sons, ancestry only has the father's name in the index!

Comment

Hi kyle

Would it help if you could find the deaths/burials of Elizabeth and Betty - to see if they're still called that or whether they've both morphed into Elizabeths?

STG
            Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

betty and elizabeth are interchangeable, which is my problem haha. i do have a betty born and mariied, as elizabeth on the kids records and census/death. so i would not be surprised.

i was thinking though, maybe i should try and track down the other elizabeth, and see if she is married, with kids. maybe the other one will have named a child after her father?

thanx for the idea smalltowngirl!

Comment

an elizabeth dibb married a david oliver in 1765, otley. both of the parish, witts were robert and william dibb. the elizabeth b.1737, parents bernard and mary, has brother robert b.1726, and william b.1759. so her brother william is too young to witness if this is the right marriage, but there is a william son of mary in 1733, so he could be a cousin i guess.

i can't trace this david and elizabeth after marriage though?

edit: this elizabeth was b.1742 otley, dau of william and sarah nee mountaine, according to ancestry trees and baptism record.

square one......
                Last edited by kylejustin; 25-03-12, 02:01.

Comment

Hi Kyle,

Just another thought. I have cycled and driven the road through Weardley many times in my lifetime and it is a place 'where if you blink you've missed it'. From memory it's only a few houses so I can't imagine there would be two John Crosfield's, one married to a Betty and one married to an Elizabeth living there at the same time.

Next time I'm out that way I'll look a little closer at the place and take a photo if you want one. Weardley is a couple of miles from Harewood on the road to Otley.

Cheers, Ian

Comment

hi ian, thanx for that, i would love to see what weardley looks like. i agree it is the same john and betty/elizabeth. it's just trying to sort out which christening in kirkby overblow is hers that is getting frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                    X