Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINT & MOSS Families

-The Search-
    I'm looking to find the maiden name of Sarah (b. ~1795) who married George MOSS (b. 1793) and lived in Onecote, Staffordshire, England.

-The Details-
    Sarah died in 1837 and so the census records are not helpful in that regard (telling me where she was born).
    The likely candidate is Sarah DEAVILL, who married a George MOSS in 1818 in Alstonefield. However, there are a couple of other possibilities and therefore we cannot say for sure that our Sarah is DEAVILL.

-The Connection-
    George MOSS and Sarah had a daughter named Pheobe MOSS (b. 1829 in Onecote, Staffordshire, England) who married Francis WINT (b. 1819 in Cauldon, Staffordshire, England). Francis WINT had a son, John WINT (b. 1862 in Leek), who married Martha Jane KING (b. 1874), they had a daughter Nellie May WINT (b. 1906 in Alabama), who married Ray WRIGHT (b. 1899), who was my grandfather.

-The Idea-
    I've had the feeling that I can find information on the maiden name of Sarah Moss by information (treasures, letters, journals, pictures...etc...) from the WINT side. Likely from John WINT on down.

-The Plea-
    If anyone has information on the descendants of John WINT it would be very helpful. My grandmother moved to Wyoming to get married and so I don't know much about that side of my family at all.
    If anyone has further information on Sarah Moss, or if you know a way I can verify that Sarah is DEAVILL, then that could be even better. Thank you.

The marriage is recorded in "Familysearch.org" and the name quoted is 'Deville'......marriage date 27 Jun 1818.

Comment

There are several trees on ancestry with your Wint names in them so if you haven't already contacted them I would do so now and see what they think. One does have Sarah Devill? listed as the wife of George they they have the same query as you.

I suppose another line to follow would be De(a)ville and see if any of that family are aware of a Moss connection.
      Margaret

Comment

I'm actually the one who entered the Sarah Deville information as an alternate wife to George MOSS in Familysearch.

As far as Ancestry.com goes I need a membership in order to see the family trees, or pretty much anything else. And that would be nice to have; but at this stage in my life I'm not sure I could justify the cost. :(

What I'm hoping is that someone has some old document from that family line which tells Sarah's maiden name. I believe that it's Sarah Deaville; but I just need some kind of verification for peace of mind I guess.

Thank you very much for replying to my post.

Comment

Originally posted by rahmuss View Post
          As far as Ancestry.com goes I need a membership in order to see the family trees, or pretty much anything else. And that would be nice to have; but at this stage in my life I'm not sure I could justify the cost. :(
          hi, if you goto www.mundia.com and register there you can search that site and contact people that have their trees on there, (Mundia is a sister site to Ancestry, ALL public trees on Ancestry are on Mundia) and its FREE to use.

this is the link mundia.com
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I'm actually the one who entered the Sarah Deville information as an alternate wife to George MOSS in Familysearch.

What I'm hoping is that someone has some old document from that family line which tells Sarah's maiden name. I believe that it's Sarah Deaville; but I just need some kind of verification for peace of mind I guess.

Thank you very much for replying to my post.
            I'm not sure if this will be any help, but Ancestry have a 14 day free trial. You still have to enter your card details, but it won't charge you until the 14 days are up, so you can cancel it before then. The 14 days might give you enough time to contact some members on there
            Wright, Hamments, Male, Murphy, Bateman, Badrick

Comment

Originally posted by Smoosh View Post
              I'm not sure if this will be any help, but Ancestry have a 14 day free trial. You still have to enter your card details, but it won't charge you until the 14 days are up, so you can cancel it before then. The 14 days might give you enough time to contact some members on there
              Yep, I'd like to sign up; but I'd like to make my 14 days as productive as I can. So I'm gathering as much info as I can without a subscription, and then when I have enough information to research I'll get my 14 day trial.

Comment

Yep, I'd like to sign up; but I'd like to make my 14 days as productive as I can. So I'm gathering as much info as I can without a subscription, and then when I have enough information to research I'll get my 14 day trial.
                Good plan I got a bit excited by the whole thing and signed up straight away :p I think I might just pay for a month or so, doing all this research is addictive!
                Wright, Hamments, Male, Murphy, Bateman, Badrick

Comment

Originally posted by Smoosh View Post
                  Good plan I got a bit excited by the whole thing and signed up straight away :p I think I might just pay for a month or so, doing all this research is addictive!
                  It sure is addictive. Once you catch the bug it's hard to get rid of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X