Unusual Transcription.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Transcription.

Transcribing a Parish Marriage Register for 1907, the Groom is entered as Benjamin Mannering age 31.
    In the left hand margin is a note, " for Mannering read Manwaring, corrected on Dec 14th, 1916. Signed by the then Vicar and in the presence of the Parties married"
    The name of the Groom's father is clearly entered as Joseph Mannering. One would think the Groom would know his name, afterall he did sign his name Mannering. To satisfy my curiosity, the 1911 Census has them in the same road with the name of Mannering ! So what was the point of the ammendement 7 years after the marriage?

Alan

If the name was "officially" Manwaring, many people thought (and still do) that official documents must use that spelling. Perhaps his birth was registered as Manwaring?

OC

Comment

Or maybe the clergyman was just being officious. I have a Nov 1837 parish register entry (which I can't immediately spot - maybe I haven't scanned it yet) where the bride's name has been pre-entered as ASHPOLE - which is how it appears in the GRO index - but where she and her father have both signed very clearly as ASHPOOL. They appear in the censuses as ASHPOOL.

It's not just inexperienced genealogy researchers who can't imagine that variants of a name could be valid!

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-03-12, 19:07.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Actually, the year of correction, 1916, might suggest that the groom had been called up and was claiming an allowance for his wife. If he was using the name Manwaring and the MC was Mannering, maybe the Army wanted this clarified? From the wording, the correction was instigated by the couple, not by the vicar.

OC

Comment

manwaring is the correct spelling of the name, but mannering is the prounciation. so i doubt it was anything important. somebody just commented it was spelt wrong maybe.

Comment

Kyle

No, I disagree! The correction was done 9 years after the marriage. It is a big faff to get the registrar or Vicar to change anything once in the record and you need to be determined and motivated to see it through. It wasn't just a passing whim.

OC

EDIT - yes, the correction appears in the GRO index, so was done via the Registrar. A big faff, as I said.
            Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 21-03-12, 08:15.

Comment

Interesting comments ladies but I do like the idea of it all starting when he may have been called up. The name on my Birth Cert is not the name on my Passport and did cause some concern when I was called up in nineteen hundred and frozen to death.

Comment

Looks as if his birth was registered as Manwaring (he lied about his age at marriage, lol) so it will be something to do with birth cert not matching the name on the marriage cert, possibly for the Army or maybe for something else like an insurance claim or an inheritance.

OC

Comment

Perceptive as ever OC )

Comment

an ancestor of mine got ****ed off with the local vicar at the birth of her last child, coz she realised he had spelled her middle name wrong on all the baptism records. there are notes beside each one stating the correction. was 10 years or more between the first and last child.
                    Last edited by kylejustin; 22-03-12, 01:18.

Comment

Working...
                    X