Stuck with Dyers in Sussex in 1825

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck with Dyers in Sussex in 1825

I wonder if anyone on here can help me with this please?

Mary Pattenden, (born East Grinstead, Sussex in 1826) married 1st Henry Kenward, who died shortly after. The Marriage took place in Withyham, Sussex.

Mary Kenward, (Widow) married secondly, William Dyer,born East Grinstead, Sussex in 1825. They had one child, also William Dyer, who was born in Lingfield in 1847.

William Dyer, (Senior) must have died between 1847 - 1851, because on the 1851 Census Mary Dyer is living in East Grinstead and working as a seamstress. Her lodger is George Holman, who she marries in Jaunuary 1855. On the Marriage Cert she gives her father as William Pattenden, Lathe Worker. George and Mary Holman went on to have many other children, and remained in East Grinstead.

With help, I have been able to follow the Pattendens, - but I am completely stuck with William Dyer, (Senior) in 1825 and so unable to progress further with the Dyers.

Any help welcomed,
    Holly.

Have you found the marriage for William Dyer? Do you know his occupation?

Comment

I've had a look on the Sussex Family History Group database, there aren't any baptisms transcribed for this period yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
        Have you found the marriage for William Dyer? Do you know his occupation?
        Hello Heather,

Yes, I have the Marriage, - on the 3rd August 1846, in the Parish of Horne, Godstone, Surrey. William Dyer, Batchelor, gives his Occupation as 'Labourer', father: William Dyer, Occupation, 'Labourer'. He married Mary Kenward, Widow. The Witnesses were George Pattenden and Harriet Pattenden.

William Dyer, (the younger) was born on the 25th July 1847 at Lingfield, East Grinstead Union, in the Counties of Sussex and Surrey. (I gather that the boundaries between Surrey and Sussex shifted around a bit:-)

Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
          I've had a look on the Sussex Family History Group database, there aren't any baptisms transcribed for this period yet.
          Oh thats a shame. Many thanks for looking though Jill.

Holly.

Comment

this looks like it could be Williams death

Name: William Dyer
            Date of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1852
            Registration district: Godstone
            Inferred County: Surrey
            Volume: 2a
            Page: 70
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Thanks for that Darksecretz.

Mary doesn't seem to have been very lucky with her first two husbands, - Henry Kenward died shortly after their marriage, and then William dies 5yrs after that marriage. He isn't with her on the 1851 Census though, - and I think she's down as a widow on that one, - but that might be down to Census dates?

Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
                Thanks for that Darksecretz.

Mary doesn't seem to have been very lucky with her first two husbands, - Henry Kenward died shortly after their marriage, and then William dies 5yrs after that marriage. He isn't with her on the 1851 Census though, - and I think she's down as a widow on that one, - but that might be down to Census dates?

Holly.
                am not sure Holly, the 1851 census was taken 30th March, but, it might be that William was 'away ill' somewhere, in a hospital maybe? where if he was on a census he might have been enumerated just with his initials.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Although this Death looks like it could fit...it apparantly isn't the right one.

I'm wondering if the William Dyer Death Entry for Tonbridge in 1850 might be a likely one?

Holly.
                  Last edited by Holly; 19-03-12, 19:55.

Comment

William Dyer, (Senior) doesn't appear in Sussex Baptisms, - and so it seems more likely that he was born in Surrey, possibly in Horne or Bletchingley.

However, having waded through the Baptisms on the 'Dusty Docs' Site, - I am still unable to find William Dyer, (Born Approx 1825)

I am completely stuck with this... does anyone have any ideas as to where I could look next?

Cheers, Holly.
                    Last edited by Holly; 01-01-13, 19:52.

Comment

Working...
                    X