Who's excited about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's excited about this?

The countdown on FMP for the 1940 US Census is now at 16 days and 2 hours.

I'm excited and sadly don't even have anyone there.

Who can't wait and is hoping to find out lots more about their family?

Linda
    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 17-03-12, 10:15.

fmp? i thought the american census was on ancestry!

Comment

Yes, I'm curious about FMP, too - are they going to have it online?

and, broken record here, but anyone can help index when it becomes available!

Comment

Apparently so..they have a countdown on the site home page and it clicks down the days, hours and minutes

Although...at the bottom of the page it also says this

The 1940 census release promises to be an exciting event for millions of family history enthusiasts. In the coming weeks and months, we’ll continue to share updates so you can be prepared to find details for your family when the 1940 census schedules are released'!!!!!!

So not sure what that means

Linda
        Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 17-03-12, 18:46.

Comment

NARA will be making the 1940 census available - it's indexed versions which may cost. FamilySearch is recruiting volunteers to create a free transcription set.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

FMP and FamilySearch are listed as sponsors for the indexing project
            The 1940 Census, taken on April 1, 1940, was the sixteenth census conducted since 1790. The population of the United States at that time totaled 131,669,275 within the continental United States.

Comment

From the FAQ:
              What is the 1940 U.S. Census Community Project?

• The 1940 U.S. Census Community Project is a grass-roots national service project aimed at creating a searchable index of the 1940 U.S. Federal Census.
              I thought I had read on familysearch that they intend to have both the index and the images available for free. I wonder if they intend to share the created index with all the sponsors?

Comment

Yes I am looking forward to it as I am hoping to pick up many of my father's Irish siblings who emigrated to New York. I may also be able to track the others in Albany as well. I have been following the Albany ones up to the 1930 Census but the others did not go to America until later, but not sure how much later. I know one of them was in the USAF during Second W War so.......

Janet

Comment

Working...
                X