No announcement yet.

Please help find the real 'Mrs 'Poole'!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help find the real 'Mrs 'Poole'!

As many of you know, Stevie2006 and I share a common ancester, Clara Pettitt.

Well, she has thrown us another conundrum in the form of her mother's (Sarah Poole) family.

Her father was William Poole but here is the query. Stevie has a birth cert for Sarah Poole dated 2.7.1840 Stepney, with Wllm as the father but with a Clara Dewar as mother and I have a cert for 18.9.1842 Bethnal Green, with Wllm as father but a Mary Ann Atkins as mother.

I have found a Clarissa Amelia Dewar with parents George and Susannah but I can't find any census mentions of her after that.
    She has a mge in 1844, Whitechapel 2 512 and so does Wllm have a wedding with same details. (Although Sarah was born in 1840)

Mary Ann has a mge with a Wllm on 20.10.1833, Shoreditch.

WILL THE REAL MRS POOLE PLEASE STAND UP!

Apologies if I have rambled - Stevie have I missed any background info out?

Help appreciated for more Clara Pettitt family mysteries!

p.s. my dad has a couple of notebooks he used for his family history research with various Polle/Atkins info, I'll sift through it today.
    Last edited by Guest; 17-03-12, 08:59.

I have the marriage of Jonathan Pettit to Sarah Poole in Stepney on 21st October 1860 - image from LMA on ancestry - and it shows William Poole's occupation as Horse Dealer (he is Sarah's father).

On the birth certificate of Sarah it lists William's occupation as conductor to an omnibus

Steven

Comment

Horse dealer/omnibus conductor aren't a million miles different - someone used to handling horses would be an ideal candidate for an omnibus conductor.

What is the "other" William's occupation?

OC

Comment

Doll maker

I'm sure there is a carpenter profession to another member of that family, so could this tie in?
        Last edited by Guest; 17-03-12, 09:30.

Comment

I can't remember what details you already had for William and Clara on your other thread Stevie but here they are in 1851 in Ratcliff STepney HO107 piece 1551 folio 279 page 43
          William Poole aged 38 occupation Groom
          Clara Poole wife aged 29
          Sara Poole dau aged 10
          M A Poole dau aged 8
          Geo Poole son aged 6
          Robert Poole son aged 3
          Louisa dau Poole aged 1
          all born Stepney, except Geo and Robert born Shadwell.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

i'd be going with the family where the mother is clara. lol bit coincedental to be looking at others....it's not like is a common name like sarah, anne, mary etc

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              i'd be going with the family where the mother is clara. lol bit coincedental to be looking at others....it's not like is a common name like sarah, anne, mary etc
              I agree given Clara Pettit (child of Sarah and Jonathan)was where we started with all this!

Also William's occupation of horse dealer on Sarah Poole's marriage sits well with the 1851 census details in Post #5 of groom.

Margaret
              Last edited by margaretmarch; 17-03-12, 11:25.

Comment

Can anyone find Wllm & Clara Poole in 1861, I can't.
                Probably just my terrible research methods. I found them in 1851, thanks JudithM.

Comment

I've been looking through my dad's notes, here are some rambling notes:

Wllm Poole folks could be Wllm & Sarah, mrd 30.3.1813, St Leonards

John Atkins 45, Martha

Charles Atkins 19.10.1816

These just look like random possible search notes though.

It's certainly looking like it may be Clara not Mary, but I wish I could be sure.

Comment

I can't find Clara and William Poole at all in 1861 - tried all ways round but nothing!

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by amck37 View Post
                      I've been looking through my dad's notes, here are some rambling notes:

Wllm Poole folks could be Wllm & Sarah, mrd 30.3.1813, St Leonards

John Atkins 45, Martha

Charles Atkins 19.10.1816

These just look like random possible search notes though.

It's certainly looking like it may be Clara not Mary, but I wish I could be sure.

I think you have to take what dad has found with a pinch of salt Amanda, they could just be that, 'notes' lists of possibles, thats all. what you need is FACT

did Sarah have any siblings? it might be you will have to buy a siblings b/cert in order to get her mothers maiden name.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

hello - i did post on the other thread, and I am in touch with steve - I have the birth certificates for most of clara and william's children, the MMN is Dewar, william is always an ostler/groom/coachman etc. Sarah's brother george is my g.g.grandfather. Baptisms for the Dewars and the Pooles are on the IGI. The whole Poole family never moved much, my branch stayed in Mile End until my father was a child. Hope this helps
                        Denise

PS I can't find them in 1861 either (-:

Comment

I think I tend to agree with the theory of the name Clara, Amanda. Bit of a coincidence that Sarah's mum might be Clara Dewar and then calls her daughter Clara.

Steven

PS I have ordered the potential death certificate of Sarah so fingers crossed that might give us a clue
                          Last edited by stevie2006; 17-03-12, 18:35.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                            I think I tend to agree with the theory of the name Clara, Amanda. Bit of a coincidence that Sarah's mum might be Clara Dewar and then calls her daughter Clara.

Steven

PS I have ordered the potential death certificate of Sarah so fingers crossed that might give us a clue
                            Looks like darannon has the answer. I doubt the death cert will help with the mother's maiden name.

As regards the 1861 - if the Poole family stayed in MEOT area all their lives then a trawl of the images is called for to find them as they must be badly mis-transcribed.

Margaret

Comment

was MEOT part of the missing bits of 1861 Margaret??
                              Julie

Comment

here it is, the missing bits of the 1861 from our Reference Library

Missing census pages
                                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                  here it is, the missing bits of the 1861 from our Reference Library

Missing census pages
                                  Quick look at that does not list Mile End or thereabouts so a trawl might be the answer.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                  X