Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Rolfe - any ideas about this photo

Hi a bit of a long shot but wondered if anyone would have any ideas

Eric Leonard Rolfe was the second husband of my great great grandmother Isabella Ward - he was born in Henley in 1905 and I came across what looks like am army photo of him on horseback but have no ideas about it all

He would have been too young for WW1 and by WW2 he would have been mid 30's but he doesn't look old enough in the photo for that

Does anyone recognise the unifrom? Interesting photo but not a clue about it

Eric was knows as Basil and lived mainly in Stepney in the 1930's as a lodger of Solomon and Isabella and then after that Ilford in Essex

Steven

Could he have been in the postal service, telegram deliverer?
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Aaaah that could be an option Herky - Solomon was in the post Office after WW1 and they met and became best friends. Hope I don't sound stupid but did they actually deliver mail on hoseback then?

Apologies for my stupidity if they did!!!!!

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
        Aaaah that could be an option Herky - Solomon was in the post Office after WW1 and they met and became best friends. Hope I don't sound stupid but did they actually deliver mail on hoseback then?

Apologies for my stupidity if they did!!!!!

Steven
        I have no idea - I would have thought a bicycle would be more like it. It was just a stab in the dark, thinking of jobs where a uniform would be used but wasn't in the forces.
        Another thought - perhaps the uniform and the horse aren't related - just a photo taken after work!!
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I tried to copy the picture so I could enlarge it to see the badge but it came out funny.
          If you could zoom in on the hat badge then perhaps that would help.
          herky

Comment

it does look like an Army uniform though, do you know if he was a member of the Territorial Army at all?? I know they started in 1908.

Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

grumpy looked at a photo for me - I'd asked him because he had commented on another uniform. You might send him a PM and ask him to look

Comment

Judging by, firstly, the cap badge it would appear that he is wearing the uniform of the RGA/RHA. This is further reinforced by the fact

that he also wears a bandolier, also part of the uniform of the artillery. The uniform itself appears standard WW1, but I have no idea

if an when a change of uniform occurred. In essence I would think it would have been between wars when that photo was taken given

that he would have been too young to have enlisted for ww1.

I believe that the MoD still holds service records of soldiers who enlisted post ww1 and you would have to contact them if you wish to

see the records.
                Last edited by grumpy; 17-03-12, 08:04.
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

What a great picture - Oh that is definitely Uncle Basil (Eric Leonard) Stevie!! - just compare this photo to the one I think you have of Basic and Bella sitting on the beach in deckchairs, it's all in the eyes again!

I'm not familiar with uniforms but again he could well have been in the Post Office after the war. As you said, Solomon was in the Post Office and so was my grandad Arthur McKanna, husband of Bella's sister, Ethel.

I'm ask dad if he remembers any more details about Basil (Eric).

Basil moved Bella, Ethel, my dad, maybe others down to his mum's pub in Maidenhead during the war.
                  Last edited by Guest; 17-03-12, 09:41.

Comment

Thanks for the help folks. Would the mod provide we with any records should they exist? Not technically an ancestor but the 2nd husband of my great grandmother - is that too tenuous?

Secondly would I need a service number, address etc. I have absolutely nothing on his service record if he had one

Steven

Comment

Steven,
                      I would throw myself on the mercy of the MoD, send them an e-mail with all the details that you have and hope for the

best. The worst is that they say NO.
                      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Just spoke to dad; Basil definately wasn't in WW2 and not in postal service either - he was a lorry driver - he let dad sit on his lap when dad was 10 and 'drive' the lorry down the road.

Folk still had 'posed' photo's like we do nowadays, dressing up in costume or uniform and posing for a photo - maybe this was on a day out?

Comment

Working...
                        X