sheffield union workhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheffield union workhouse

can anybody help me find details about my great granddad ,william Henry Hirst who died in the workhouse in 1900 have run up against a brick wall , pleased to hear from any body, thank you....p

what are you looking for ?? do you have his Birth etc ?

Comment

if he died in Sheffield his surname is listed as Hurst

Comment

was he married to an Amelia

Comment

Remember that the workhouse was usually the hospital - so often people who died there also had another address.
          Last edited by JBee; 16-03-12, 16:05.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Try this forum. it is very good for Sheffield ancestors. http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

Sandra

Comment

advise needed

can any one tell me about the union workhouse in sheffield ,my great granddad died there in 1900 his name was William Henry Hirst, ihave census records of him up to 1891 but nothing after that, seen the workhouse on google but no address to find any records ,hope some one can help thank you ,,,,peter

Comment

Hello - and welcome to FTF.

I think that this page looks promising: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Sheffield/

but:
                Records

• Sheffield Archives, 52 Shoreham Street, Sheffield S1 4SP. Holdings comprise: Guardians' minute books (1890-1930 with gaps), Punishments register. The majority of the Sheffield Union records are said to have been destroyed when the former Union offices were bombed during World Ward 2.
                Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks christine will give it a go bye ,,peter

Comment

hi val thanks for replying; william henry hirst born in 1850 in Ashton under lyne lancashire , he married somebody before he married my great grandmar,have the marriage record for 1878 ,married in Wakefield church ,which is now wakefield cathedral ,married to Sarah jane Whitehead, it says on the record he was a widower also say born abt1847 not 1850 the next record i have is 1881 census living in sculcoates Hull where they have a daughter Jane Hannah Hirst [my granmother ] the key factor in all this in all records i have it says he was a SHOEMAKER ,. next record is birth of a daughter [ charllote ann hirst ] then a son [William Hy Hirst ] 1888. in 1889 Sarah Jane my great grandmar died in hull.have record. in 1891 william henry hirst has moved on to Headingley in Leeds where he is a lodger. no more records of him until a wills and probate record for 1920yes 1920saying he died in the union workhouse in sheffield and that he had a house in westbar in sheffield. in the 1901 census i have Jane Hannah Hirst now named Nicholson is married living in East Ardsley near Wakefield living with her husband Arthur Nicholson , her sister Charllote ann ..and brother William Hy Hirst no mention of her dad but by then he had died [ 1900 ] dont no if she had that info or not but the will and probate record is for 1920 where he leaves jane hannah wife of arthur nicholson the sum of £159..hope all this makes sense it is a mine field ..peter

Comment

When was the Will dated? the fact that it wasn't executed until 20 years after his death isn't that unusual - who were the executors etc?

Sounds to me as if he died in the workhouse infirmary. If he owned a house then he would not have been admitted to the workhouse as a pauper inmate.

OC

Comment

exact wording on wills and probate record are HIRST William Henry of 3 Court Westbar Sheffield died 7 December 1900 at the Union Workhouse Sheffield, Administration London 20 April to Jane Hannah Nicholson [ wife of Arthur Nicholson ] Effects £156 16s Probate date 20 April1921

Comment

Ah! It was an administration. Not quite the same as a will. Probably he had some property or money that needed sorting out legally and Jane Hannah had to go to probate to do it. She just left it quite a long time!
                          3 Court Westbar was probably not his own house but the address where he lived before being admitted to the hospital in the Workhouse.

Anne
                          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 17-03-12, 21:25.

Comment

Oh yes, admon not the same as a will, so indeed he may have been a pauper inmate at the time of his death. His assets may not have come to light for many years. Either that, or he jointly owned the property with someone else.

OC

Comment

Working...
                            X