Residential School for Jewish Deaf Children, Nightingale Lane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential School for Jewish Deaf Children, Nightingale Lane

Any ideas how to find any records for the above school? I always suspected my Gran attended here, now confirmed by my Uncle and a photograph!

very little comes up on Google

Many thanks

Debs

try pm'ing Naomiatt on here, she knows ALOT about Jewish stuff.. :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Ok I will, thank you :o

Comment

The above link has information.
        It suggests trying the National Archives.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth, I have seen that one but it gives very little information. Looks as though I will have to research it a bit deeper than just Google!!

Comment

Debbss, I think your first port of call should be the National Archives. You could e-mail them to find out what information they have.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

nan at school 2.jpgNan at school 1.jpg

Now I am confused as the photo says School for Girls, yet there are quite clearly Boys in the photo. The net says there was Deaf school, with the school next door just for girls.

More digging required I think!

Cool pics though! I love old photos (Hope you dont mind me posting them?)

Debs

Comment

Just found this:

History

Oak Lodge was established by the London County Council and opened on August 28, 1905 as a school for deaf girls aged 11–16. Many of the girls were boarders. It was sited in a beautiful old house on Nightingale Lane which used to belong to the curator of Kew Gardens. There were lots of old oak trees in the garden, so the school was called Oak Lodge. There was another school for Jewish deaf children next door, actually on the site where the school is now, which had started in 1899. There was no contact between the two schools for the first 50 years - there was a high wall separating them

Now this is going to sound daft.....but does this mean that Nan was Jewish? I suppose I have suspected as such as her Maiden Name is Gast. Would they only allow Jews to attend?
                This genealogy really throws some surprises out doesnt it?

Debs

Comment

Yes I am looking for contact details now, thanks Elizabeth

Comment

It's also worth remembering that schooling in many places used to be separate for girls and boys. Not, perhaps, in very small schools, but certainly in larger ones. Anything involving sleeping on the premises would certainly call for separation.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Debbss, sent you a pm as well. Yes, Gast can be a Jewish surname, from Galicia. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/bloomsbury-proj...ions/index.htm Jews’ Deaf and Dumb Home also known as Deaf and Dumb Home/Nightingale Lane Residential School for Deaf Children/Residential School for Deaf Children http://www.ucl.ac.uk/bloomsbury-proj..._dumb_home.htm

In the photo, can you see any of the boys having head coverings?
                      Last edited by naomiatt; 18-03-12, 21:43.

Comment

No it doesn't look as thought they have any head coverings. I would think they are about 4 years old in the photo.

Comment

Could it be the school that was next door and not Nightingale? Usually you'd expect to see boys wearing capel's on their heads if Jewish, not always the case but a good clue. Gast looks like it's a German surname as well and can be both Jewish and non Jewish. Are there any clues on the back of the photo?

Comment

I don't have the actual photo, Uncle scanned it. I will ask him what is on the back if anything. The 2 schools, as far as I can work out, were both for deaf children. At first I thought it was Nightingales but that is for Deaf Girls. The Jewish school is for deaf Children, both sexes which is where my confusion arose, as the photo clearly has boys too. I have emailed the National Archives but not heard back from them yet. However it does say on the web that they only have records from the 1940's which won't be of any help.
                            The Meyer/Mayer name definitely originates in Germany, I have traced the husbands family to a town called Kim Rheinland Pfatz.

Comment

Hmmm....is there a contact on the Bloomsbury info that you can email?

Comment

No.....but I can email UCL and ask. Good thinking ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Debbss View Post
                                  I don't have the actual photo, Uncle scanned it. I will ask him what is on the back if anything. The 2 schools, as far as I can work out, were both for deaf children. At first I thought it was Nightingales but that is for Deaf Girls. The Jewish school is for deaf Children, both sexes which is where my confusion arose, as the photo clearly has boys too. I have emailed the National Archives but not heard back from them yet. However it does say on the web that they only have records from the 1940's which won't be of any help.
                                  The Meyer/Mayer name definitely originates in Germany, I have traced the husbands family to a town called Kim Rheinland Pfatz.
                                  If you're looking it up anytime, you'll need to correct the spelling of the State: Rheinland Pfalz

In addition, I can't see a place called "Kim" - and it doesn't sound terribly like a German place-name, either. Googling offers nothing obviously plausible or relevant. There is, however, a place in Rheinland Pfalz called "KIRN" - which looks very like "Kim" when written in mixed case: Kirn. It's west and a bit south of Frankfurt and Wiesbaden... quite near, and to the south east of what Ryanair calls "Frankfurt" airport - at Hahn, on the Hunsrück. This is the local website (in German): http://www.kirn.de/

Christine
                                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-03-12, 14:10.
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Lol! Thanks Christine, Kim had baffled me as it sounds about as non-German as can be!!

Comment

Originally posted by Debbss View Post
                                      Lol! Thanks Christine, Kim had baffled me as it sounds about as non-German as can be!!
                                      I'm getting quite good at sussing out possible misreadings of script. It's mainly a question of picturing what the letters look like.

Christine

Comment

Hi debs

can we help? I work for the jewish deaf association in london. Many of our members are ex pupils of the jewish deaf school.

the jewish school took in children that were jewish and non-jewish to make up for declining numbers.

the school next door was oak lodge school and used to be girls only and is now mixed.

contact me by sending me a PM and I'll give you an external e-address by which you can contact me as i have lots of info and piccys. Also there is a special event coming up.

what was your grans name and what year was she born?

regards

ann

EDIT: Welcome ann, and many thanks for your helpful post. We have a policy of not allowing email addresses in the open posts, so I've edited yours out - even tho' I can see it's a business-style one. Anyone who would like to follow up on this can send you a personal message ("PM"), and you can give them your external e-address then. - Christine
                                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-02-13, 23:14.

Comment

Working...
                                        X