Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edith & Amy Artiss

Hi All

Can anyone help with what happened to Edith(1872-) and Amy(1877-) ARTISS after they arrived in the USA with their mother Elizabeth on 1 Nov 1895.

Regards Mike
    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Where have you looked so far?

There's actually quite a lot available on FamilySearch for the USA - more and more, in fact! https://www.familysearch.org/

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Is it obvious from the passenger list at which you looked that Elizabeth was travelling not only with her youngest daughters, Edith & Amy, but with her older daughter, Mary (b 1858ish), and her husband William JONES?

I see the father, Edwin, had died only in 1895q3.

And the earlier censuses show ELizabeth (b c 1833) as "deaf & dumb", so she'd have been very vulnerable. It's likely, therefore, that she will tend to have stayed with one or other of her daughters, so it might be worth looking to see what happened to her, to see if she's with one of her daughters.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-03-12, 22:01.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That works

Using the 1900 USA census on FamilySearch, Elizabeth ARTISS, 68, b Jul 1831, Widow, (children 12, of which 9 still alive) is Mother-in-Law to William RYAN (wife Matilda, 33, b Jun 1867) in Newhaven, CT.

Amy is there, as Sister-in-law, with her baby daughter, Beatrice.

There's a lot of info to be harvested from that census!

Christine

Comment

thanks , I know Elizabeth died date unknown in Ansonia CT and have all the information up to the passenger list. Only have Ancestry.co.uk subscription. (I am unable to contact the person who gave me the death place as her 2001 email don't work any more)
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Elizabeth death is on findagrave Dec 26 1906
            Karen

Comment

"I just don't believe it" went of to the findagrave site and found I was already registered, must have been when I was searching for my father's family , never thought to look for my Artiss mother's family.

Thanks for that one !!!!!
              Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                That works

Using the 1900 USA census on FamilySearch, Elizabeth ARTISS, 68, b Jul 1831, Widow, (children 12, of which 9 still alive) is Mother-in-Law to William RYAN (wife Matilda, 33, b Jun 1867) in Newhaven, CT.

Amy is there, as Sister-in-law, with her baby daughter, Beatrice.

There's a lot of info to be harvested from that census!

Christine
                I can't find them ,can you post a link or something please.
                Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fisher View Post
                  I can't find them ,can you post a link or something please.
                  You do need to be using the new familysearch site Mike..

hope this link works

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thanks, was using the new site but getting no census results ,now I am , strange !!!
                    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fisher View Post
                      thanks, was using the new site but getting no census results ,now I am , strange !!!
                      you hadn't inadvertently clicked on something you shouldn't have Mike? had you, sometimes less is alot more.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Karen S View Post
                        Elizabeth death is on findagrave Dec 26 1906
                        Thanks for that, some kind soul in Ansonia, Conneticut,USA has responded to my request on Findagrave for a photo of the gravestone and recorded on it is a son William Frederick Lewis I knew nothing of born 1886 in Kings Norton registration district and died in 1891.
                        Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

That's great! I really find that site very helpful for family here in the US.
                          Karen

Comment

Working...
                          X