Certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certificates

Do "Superintendent Registrars Certificates" still exist? from London/Middlesex in the mid-1800s? Where?

Why would you need one of those?

The Superintendent of Registrars was someone in the hierarchy in charge of Registrars who actually made the registrations so the Superintendent would not have a separate register for anything. I think the registers all went to the Superintendent for safe keeping when full and also index details for collating before going to GRO.

Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 14-03-12, 07:20.

Comment

I take it you are referring to the certificate that the Superintendant Registrar issues when a marriage is to take place other than in a Church of England or Wales church. Its described quite clearly here: http://www.weddings.co.uk/info/legeng.htm
      The registrar enters names, ages, addresses and location of ceremony in a Notice of Marriage book and issues a certificate of marriage which is given to the minister (in a non conformist church) or the registrar when the wedding takes place. I don't think the certificate holds much info, just a bit of legalese to say the marriage can take place, and even the Notice of Marriage book, if it survives, would only have the same info as the Marriage Certificate.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X