No announcement yet.

Kings of Shoreditch, stuck help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kings of Shoreditch, stuck help please!

8xGreat Grandfather William King, of St Leonard's Shoreditch, died intestate and administration of his estate was granted to his widow Sarah on the oath of Charles King, her son, and Isaiah Martin, son in law, both Weavers.

His burial records the following info St Leonard's Shoreditch 12 Jan 1784 "William King of New Inn Yard, aged 82", so likely born 1701/2. There are no William Kings baptised in Shoreditch at that time, but four other possibles baptised 1701-3 in the surrounding East End parishes of Stepney, Bishopsgate and Whitechapel.

William King, 30 Nov 1701 St Mary, Whitechapel parents not recorded

William King, 29 March 1702 St Dunstan's, Stepney, son of Gabriel King, of White Row, Weaver, and Elizabeth, wife, aged 15 days

William King, 8 Nov 1702 St Botolph's Bishopsgate, son of Edward King and Mary.

William King, 11 April 1703, St Dunstan's, Stepney, son of William and Mary King, Labourer, Castle Street, Bethnal Green.

Unfortunately non of the baptisms of my William's children record an occupation for him, but both his son and son in law were weavers, so that may be suggestive he could have been too. So that might favour the son of Gabriel King. However closest to St Leonard's Shoreditch is the last baptism, Castle Street bordering that parish.

However what has really got my mind ticking is the following apprenticeship record:

William King, son of Edward King of St Leonard's, Shoreditch, in County Middlesex, Cordwainer, apprenticed to John Childs, Citizen and Weaver of London for seven years 11 March 1709/10.

At first I thought that the William King baptised 1702 to Edward and Mary would be too young to be this apprentice, at 7 years of age, as most apprenticeships I have seen usually relate to 14/5 year olds, however the nearest other William born to and Edward, in the area, was all the way back in Feb 1681/2, and though this was in right parish St Leonard's Shoreditch, if it was him 28 would seem very old to start an apprenticeship to me.

In addition my William King was married to a Sarah, and the first child baptised to a William and Sarah King at St Leonard's Shoreditch was an Edward King 9 Apr 1732.

This might support his father being an Edward, however frustratingly I cant be 100% sure this is the same William and Sarah King baptising children there 1739-52 who were definitely my ancestors, as there are the following two baptisms also to a William and Sarah King there in the intervening years:

Elizabeth King born 20 June 1733 baptised 10 Aug 1733
    William King born 20 January 1733/4 baptised 10 Feb 1733/4

Though none of the other baptisms overlap, the very short 7 months gap between the birth of those two children, does seem to point towards there being two different couples, same name, in the parish. The adresses certainly differ, Elizabeth being born at Rose Yard, William at Hare Alley. (Edward in 1732 differs too and was born at Cock Alley). My couple on the other hand regularly record their adress 1739-52 as either Holywell Court or New Inn Yard.

Can't find any marriages to a William and Sarah King at St Leonards until 1741. However there is one to a "William King of Bethnal Green, Silk Weaver, and Sarah Young of the same, Spinster on 20 Nov 1738 St Dunstan's Stepney" That could be my couple if indeed the 1739-52 baptisms are seperate to the earlier ones. There are a couple of earlier marriages showing on the IGI to William King and Sarah's at the Fleet, in 1730 and 1734, though I havn't been able to check the full details to see if either of those William's were from Shoreditch. Of course possible my William is the the 1738 one, and married another Sarah first, as the St Dunstan's marriage doesn't record his condition, but how to prove that.

Completely run out of ideas now how to move ahead now. Any help much appreciated.
    Last edited by Richard; 13-03-12, 11:23.

I have to nip out in a minute so two quick observations for now.

1. Apprentices could not marry without the permission of their masters and this was rarely given, so by extention it is vanishingly unlikely that a married man would be entered into an apprenticeship - no wages to support a family apart from anything else!

The baptisms you have found are not seven months apart, they are 19 months apart (I think - have you looked at the original and do they follow seven months apart? You have given an old style/new style for the dates and that does not of course appear on the original record.)

OC

Comment

Hi OC

Elizabeth King born 20 June 1733 baptised 10 Aug 1733
      William King born 20 January 1733 baptised 10 Feb 1733

This is how the originals were recorded, so the births did indeed occur seven months apart, I added the old style/new style clarifaction on the date myself for the second baptism 1733/4 so as not to give scope for any confusion towards the second being earlier of the two, by anyone unfamiliar with the old system.
      Last edited by Richard; 13-03-12, 12:22.

Comment

Hi Richard. Just joined this forum and would love to hear from you. (You are the first person I have heard of who is tracing Kings of London).
        I believe that I am related to your William King through George King (a butler born in 1785) - possible son of George King and Catharine Dean.
        I think George senior is son of Charles King - who I think is son of your William King listed).
        Have to dash now - but would love to compare notes and to understand how you fit in.
        Cheers.

Comment

Hello Coloradokings, good to see I'm not the only one researching the Kings of Shoreditch! I would certainly be interested in swapping notes. I havn't really come along at all since I posted this message last year, still stuck at a brick wall with Williams' origins. I was able to check the Fleet marriages, were a couple of interesting ones, but nothing definite:

William King of St Mary's Whitechapel , Glossmaker? and Sarah Ryans St Botolphs Aldgate married Sep 1730 The Fleet
          William King of St Leonard's, Shoreditch, Pipemaker, and Sarah Shotton of the same married 15 Dec 1740 The Fleet

I do have some details for Charles, which hopefully matches up with yours. I have him as born 11 Mar 1739 at New Inn Yard, Shoreditch, Middlesex, married Elizabeth Merchant 16 Apr 1760 at St Matthew`s, Bethnal Green, Middlesex, died Oct 1821 Church Street, Bethnal Green. Two sons George King, born 25 Aug 1761 New Inn Yard, Shoreditch and William King born 14 Aug 1764 also at New Inn Yard, Shoreditch.

All the best
          Richard
          Last edited by Richard; 19-05-14, 17:56.

Comment

Good to hear from you. I have the details for Charles, Elizabeth & children - but didn't have the death details. To be honest one of the more recent family links I have is a little tenuous - so I haven;t invested too much time in pursuing older ancestors. I do have details of an Ester King (daughter of Charles & Elizabeth) christened in March 5th 1780 in Shoreditch but this is much later than George & William so may not be the same parents. FWIW: Until I saw your post I had speculated that your William might the son of Edward and Elizabeth King - born 1709 in Shoreditch.

If my research is correct then my 3rd Great Grandfather George King was the son of George King (ch. March 1st 1795 at St. James in Paddington). Son of George King and Catharine Dean (both from Shoreditch). George King Senior being the son of Charles King that you reference above. I can't confirm this for sure but I have census returns listing his place/data of birth as Kensington in 1795.
            I don;t know for sure that George King senior is the son of Charles - although one if his sons is named Charles - so this is conjecture.

Given all of this, I'm curious to know if you fit into the the tree and if you have any details on descendents of George senior?

Cheers

Comment

Hi colorado Kings, my own research into Charles and Elizabeth's line has not gone further than the baptisms of George and William. I descend from a different branch, that of Charle's sister, Mary King, b.1740, who married Isaiah Martin. Isaiah and Charles together witnesses the admin of William's estate to his widow Sarah, so I know at least that I have the right King line there, but getting beyond William with any certainty has proved so far impossible. I tend to favour Edward as his father too, but can't prove it unfortunately. I have his widow Sarah buried at St Leonard's Shoreditch 19 April 1795 as "Sarah King of St Matthews Bethnal Green, aged 89 years". Apart from that not really got anything else I can add to the picture at the moment.

All best

Richard

Comment

Thanks Richard

Comment

Working...
                X