Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help trying to read what these word/name say

Hi All,

I need your help in trying to read what these words/names say. I'm unable to read this style of writing. In the first attachment I think the initial is S but i'm unable to read what the first word says.

In the second attachment im unable to read the name at all.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Mr B; 12-03-12, 19:01.

First one looks like Dvr S but without the context difficult to say what it means.

The second one looks like TALNAPOSK(H)A - again the context might help with an interpretation.

Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 12-03-12, 19:05.

Comment

Thanks for that Margaret.

The first is from an army form and the second is my grandmother's maden name.

Comment

I imagine then the first one is a shortening of Driver as an occupation.

Second one- Very unusual name! either be easy to research or a nightmare of mis-transcription!!

Margaret
        Last edited by margaretmarch; 12-03-12, 19:20.

Comment

A search on ancestry showed this

Hilda Gerstein
          Mother's Maiden Name: Talnapolska
          Date of registration: Apr-May-Jun 1913
          Registration district: St George in the East
          Inferred County: London, Middlesex
          Volume: 1c Page: 537

Your relative.??? Clearly a European name and most likely Russian/ German/ Polish??

Margaret

Comment

Is this relevant to you from 1911 census

GERSTEIN, Emanuel Head Married 16 years M 38 1873 Tailor Baestr Poland Resident
            GERSTEIN, Bella Wife Married F 36 1875 Poland Resident
            GERSTEIN, Hyman Son Single M 15 1896 Tailor Plain Machiner Poland Resident
            GERSTEIN, Moses Son M 14 1897 Tailor Apprentice Trouser Machiner Poland Resident
            GERSTEIN, Simon Son M 8 1903 At School Poland Resident
            GERSTEIN, Lewis Son M 6 1905 At School Poland Resident
            GERSTEIN, Millie Daughter F 4 1907 Poland Resident
            PLUSHWA, Sollomon Lodger Married M 30 1881 Poland Resident
            NYMAN, Isaac Lodger Single M 22 1889 Trouser Machiner Poland Resident

RG14PN1513 RG78PN53 RD19 SD1 ED15 SN357

Address:
            10 Tasburg Blds County:
            London

Comment

Thanks for all of thank Margaret.

As far as I’m aware my father only had brothers (4 or 5) so I’m assuming Hilda is not a relative. In regards to the info from the 1911 census, I have seen this before but I'm not too sure as none of the names are matching up with the info I have. My grandmother’s first name is Yetta and my grandfather’s name is Barnett. Thanks for the lookup though, I have done a search on Ancestry but not really getting anywhere I’m ending up with more questions then answers.

Thanks for all of your help.

Comment

Mr B.

can you post the details of the birth certificate? or is this person still living? do you have a rough idea where they lived/came from at all
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I should add that if the person is still living then we do not permit their names to be posted on the open forum, but rather work via our PM (private messaging) system
                  Julie

Comment

if you could give us a little more info, then maybe we can help you find them on the census..
                    Julie

Comment

I don't have the birth certificates for my grandmother or grandfather. As far am I’m aware my grandmother was born in Russia in Aug 1899, died in Stepney 1969 and unsure where my granddad was born but was born around 1891. (I calculated this as his death certificate shows he was 75 when he died in 1966, but his WW1 papers show his birth year in 1885, so a bit of confusion there)
                      Last edited by Mr B; 12-03-12, 21:18.

Comment

ok, and your grandmothers name was yetta barnett?
                        Julie

Comment

no, her name was Yetta Gerstein, maiden name Tarnapolski

Comment

Originally posted by Mr B View Post
                            no, her name was Yetta Gerstein, maiden name Tarnapolski
                            aha..ok.. do you know when/where she married please..and if she had any siblings
                            Julie

Comment

It would be an astonishing coincidence if Hilda was not your father's sister - the mother's maiden name is so unusual it must surely be the same family. Hilda may have died young although I cannot see a death for her.

OC

Comment

I know that in Poland if you are male the surname usually ends in 'Ski' but, if you are female then its 'Ska' so it might be Tarnapolski = male. Tarnapolska = Female
                                Julie

Comment

Unfortunately not. I don't where or when she married or if she had any siblings. There is a possibility she had a sister named Fredia/Fraida but can't confirm this until I dig deeper with my research. Unfortunately the majority of the people that would have known this information are no longer with us.

Comment

I tried separating the two parts of that surname - since "Polska" means Polish/Poland, I believe. It turns out that "Talna" is a variant of "Talnoye", a place in the former "Pale of Settlement".
                                    This site may have some material of relevance, though I haven't checked: http://jewishwebindex.com/talnoye.htm

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I can see several births with Tarnapolska in St geo in the east, Solle/Abraham
                                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-03-12, 21:54.
                                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                        I can see several births with Tarnapolska in St geo in the east, Solle/Abraham
                                        Solle (and Lewis, in the same Q) are too early for the mmn to be specified - tho' the area is certainly the same, so they are likely candidates for the family.

Before I check back to earlier posts, there seems to be a single GERSTEIN family in St George in the East in 1911 - all b Poland - with a couple of Polish-born lodgers.

Christine
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                        X