Alfred Anderson, Hussars in Scalby,1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfred Anderson, Hussars in Scalby,1911

I have Alfred Anderson Born Blackburn 1873 and the 1911 has him as a Soldier at Burniston Barracks, Scalby, Yorkshire and is single and is in the Hussars of the Line, meaning regular Hussar units of Cavalry.

Can anyone see if there is a record of his military career or anything at all for him in 1901 census

Thank you

Edna

Find my past has an Alfred Anderson with the 18th Hussars.
    The record date is 1912 and he is listed as 39 = 1873
    Do you want more on this man?
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

His death cert is included in the 10 pages of army records.

Mother's name is given as Elizabeth and Blackburn gets a mention, in the army records.
      Last edited by herky; 11-03-12, 21:43.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks Herky, Mothers name is Isabella so can that be just an error, he was born Blackburn but moved to Liverpool as a young child and had no further connection with the place but can you confirm this is not my man.
        Is there a home adress for him or next of kin

Edna

Comment

He also attests in 1891 also, a groom, b Blackburn.
          At one point the address Oakfield Road is listed and crossed out.
          Mother - Elizabeth
          Father - none
          Brother ???Allan Harold
          an address of 27 Redrock St., Liverpool
          herky

Comment

He died in Sale in 1946
            herky

Comment

Yes brother is Harold Albion Anderson and Red Rock Street Confirms he is mine, Oakfield Road too both in Anfield Liverpool, the Mothers name is wrong and father died when they were children

Is there any more information that gives any of his life in the army.

Thanks

Edna

Comment

Hi,
                Good.
                I would send you the papers but I have been having trouble myself down loading and saving army records from FMP.
                Give me a few minutes and I will give the details.
                herky

Comment

OK - I will do it page by page
                  Page 1
                  Discharge proceedings
                  No ??/5643 Private
                  Alfred Anderson
                  18 Hussars
                  Northern ??Depot
                  Date of Discharge - 7 Aug 1912, Scarborough
                  Age-39 years, 6 months
                  Height - 5ft 9 1/2 in
                  Girth - 39 in
                  Expansion - 3 1/2 in
                  Complexion - fair
                  Eyes - brown
                  Hair - grey

Intended place of residence - 17 Oakfiked road etc the crossed out to Veterans Club ?Hard Court High Holborn, London
                  "The termination of his second period of engagement"

Conduct -Exemplary. No offence during last 18 years of service. No instance of drunkeness during whole service of 21 years.
                  A thoroughly trustworthy and reliable man in every aspect.

Page 2 to follow
                  herky

Comment

Page 2
                    Difficult to read the following
                    Medals and clasps-
                    Kimberley, Johanesburg
                    Diamond Hill Belfast??
                    Kings S A Medal and clasps, South africa 1901. 1902
                    Long srvice and GC medals
                    21 years service
                    herky

Comment

Page 3
                      Nil of note

Page 4
                      Typed doc - not specific to Alfred

Page 5
                      Copy of death cert
                      Died in the sub district of Manchester on 14 Oct 1946, Royal Infirmary.

Is it OK to put the details here as it is more recent???
                      herky

Comment

Page 6 - just about a pension payment

Page 7 - Attestation dated 15 Aug 1891. 10 Royal Hussars
                        Alfred Anderson, b Blackburn, 18 years, 6 months, groom

Page 8 - Physical details eg height - as before

Page 9 - Info about service dates and payments

Page 10 - Home - 8 Aug 1891 - 5/11/99
                        South Africa - 6/11/99 - 19/7/02
                        Home - 20/7/02 - 7/9/1912

Campaigns - South Africa - 99-1902
                        Medals - as before
                        Father - none
                        Mother Elizabeth, 27 Redrock etc and crossed out a deceased
                        Brother - ????/Harold
                        herky

Comment

Back to the death cert
                          He was a postman retired and the informant was his wife.
                          herky

Comment

Thank You Herky,
                            Yes all the family are long gone so no one can be hurt by it

Edna

Comment

So he had a wife, there may be children then.

Edna

Comment

Address on the death cert is - Royal Infirmary/77 ? Moss Lane, Sale.
                                Informant, wife ? L Anderson
                                edit -- could be a "S" Anderson - not sure
                                Last edited by herky; 11-03-12, 23:14.
                                herky

Comment

Thanks that is fantastic, all my searching (no subs) had previously proved fruitless for him so now I have lots to go on

Thanks ever so much Herky,

I have lots of info on his brother Jonathan Harrison Anderson but little on Harold Albion Anderson so this fills out the family a little on Grandmothers brothers.

Edna

Comment

If I find a way to download the images in the future then I will let you know and send them on to you if you would like??
                                    herky

Comment

I will see if another contact who has FMP can do it and if not I will let you know.

Thanks for all your help it has given me so much already

Edna

Comment

Elizabeth and Isabella are derived from the same origin and both names have sometimes been interchanged over the years.

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                        X