Baptisms...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptisms...?

Is it possible a child may not have been baptised in 1851 ish....?
    I have looked everywhere I can think of for a baptism and can't find one.

If anoyone is willing to check it is for Jane Nelson (Illegitimate) born about 1851 (I've gone ten years either side) Mother Maria Nelson.

Possibly Crompton Shaw Oldham or Manchester areas. Just re~checked Lancs OPC which has been recently updated.....still nothing.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

It's more than possible - they may have been non conformist and therefore not shown on the parish records. Civil reg was in by then so that might have been enough for most people.

The other point might be where you are looking does not have all the records, either because they are not yet transcribed or because they have not survived.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      It's more than possible - they may have been non conformist and therefore not shown on the parish records. Civil reg was in by then so that might have been enough for most people.

The other point might be where you are looking does not have all the records, either because they are not yet transcribed or because they have not survived.

Margaret
      Yes I had drawn the same conclusions Margaret. I can't find her birth either, so either not transcribed yet or destroyed.....won't know until further transcriptions are out. Hate these loose ends though.
      Jen

Comment

Could this be the birth?

Jane Nelson
        Date of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1851
        Registration district: Oldham
        Inferred County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
        Volume: 20 Page: 739

Comment

or this one?

Jane Nelson
          Date of registration: Apr-May-Jun 1851
          Registration district: Chorlton
          Inferred County: Lancashire
          Volume: 20 Page: 224

Comment

This is probably the one registered in Oldham in 1861 census living in Crompton

James Nelson 51
            Betty Nelson 41
            Esther Ann Nelson 21
            Joseph Nelson 19
            James Nelson 17
            Edward Nelson 11
            Solomon Nelson 11
            Jane Nelson 9
            William Nelson 4
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 11-03-12, 15:17.

Comment

and this is probably the Chorlton one in the Workhouse 1861

Margaret

Comment

Well it's not the first one Margaret, I ordered that one and she has both parents. 3rd one, wrong date and 2nd one wrong family. Sorry Margaret but thank you for looking.
                Jen

Comment

Many Oldham church records are not on line as I believe the Vicar (? Bishop?) would not allow the LDS to film the records. A nuisance for me too as one large branch of my family is rooted in Oldham. The records ARE available in Manchester Library.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Many Oldham church records are not on line as I believe the Vicar (? Bishop?) would not allow the LDS to film the records. A nuisance for me too as one large branch of my family is rooted in Oldham. The records ARE available in Manchester Library.

OC
                    Really OC thanks for letting me know. I may be going to Manchester later this year to see my brother, so I can pop in there.
                    Jen

Comment

There is a birth registered 1851 in Crompton, Jane Nelson mmn Nelson. (Lancsbmd). But I guess you were hoping for a baptism which might have given the father';s name - the birth cert won't.

OC

Comment

.... the birth cert won't ....

Well I know its not very likely but it is possible. I have a certificate where the father's name has been crossed out but is still clearly readable! It has been done officially with an index number etc. Perhaps the registrar thought he needed to be named and shamed. LOL Question is ... is it worth spending £9.25 in the hope that he is shown ... probably not!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          There is a birth registered 1851 in Crompton, Jane Nelson mmn Nelson. (Lancsbmd). But I guess you were hoping for a baptism which might have given the father';s name - the birth cert won't.

OC
                          I think I may have to take the plunge with this one OC. I'm not expecting to discover a father's name. Maria was only 18 when she had Jane.
                          Jen

Comment

might narrow down the neighbourhood though, so it could make it easier to figure out which church to look in.

Comment

Working...
                            X