Electoral Rolls 1903 and 1905 anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral Rolls 1903 and 1905 anyone?

I'm trying to pin down who was looking after a child who received postcards from her seafaring dad.
    First address is 8 Wordsworth Terrace, Stanhope, South Shields, Co. Durham in 1903.
    Second address is 4 The Triangle, Teignmouth, Devon in 1905.

Said child had been looked after by her grandparents who both died in 1900/1901. Any names will be a hint to who I'm looking for.

Googling The Triangle, it looks quite upmarket today, so I wonder if No. 4 was a shop.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Hi Uncle John
    The occupants of 4 The Triangle in 1911 were
    George Scown born 1853
    Mrs E Scown born 1855
    Mr A Scown born 1892
    Mr T Ballard born 1831
    Separate households listed as lodgers in enumerators list.
    (Miss)Emma Jane Welsford Hill born 1833 &
    (Mrs) Elizabeth Harris born 1842.

In 1901 George Scown & family at 3 The Triangle.
    No 3 separate household Emma J W Hill
    ditto Charity Wren widow age 87
    ditto Julia Chadwick widow age 46 & Clara Scholar? age 15 both born Manchester.
    I can't find anything for the Durham address.
    Moggie

Comment

At 8 Stanhope Road in 1911:

Mary Urwin, 48, single, boot and shoe dealer,
      Annie Scott Urwin, niece, 17, single
      Doris Mary Urwin, niece, 7.

All born in South Shields.

I think this is the correct address: it's shown as 8 Stanhope Road, but the house next door is 6 Wordsworth Terrace, Stanhope Road.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-03-12, 18:29.

Comment

Mary and Annie Urwin were at different addresses in 1901.

The occupants of 8 Stanhope Road in 1901 were:

Joseph B Lawson, his wife Annie and their 4 children. Joseph was born in Northumberland, Annie in Yarmouth and the children in South Shields. There was also Willie J Corbett, nephew, from Hexham, and a servant, Lizzie Hinton, from South Shields.

This is definitely the right road, because the same family (Atkinson) was at 2 Wordsworth Terrace in 1911 and 2 Stanhope Road in 1901.

If you specifically need information from the electoral rolls you may need to change your thread title to include a reference to Co. Durham, because they'll only be available in the local library as far as I know.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-03-12, 18:40.

Comment

Thanks for this, Moggie and Mary. Clearly the family (Scown) that I was hoping to find are long gone from Stanhope Road by 1911. But George Scown at 3 The Triangle in 1901 and at 4 The Triangle in 1911 is the elder brother of my target person's self-appointed guardian. By 1911 my target and her guardian ("aunt" but no relation) are at another address in South Shields. And I see that 4 The Triangle was a shop, presumably the base for George Scown's decorating business.
          Last edited by Uncle John; 11-03-12, 19:14.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
          X