Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah Pettit death

Hi I can't find her death and wondered if anyone can help

Full name Sarah Ann Poole born 2nd July 1840 in Mile End Old Town. Parents William Poole and Clara Dewar. She married Jonathan (John) Pettit on 21st October 1860 in Stepney. Jonathan died in the workhouse on 19th July 1886.

As I can't find the death I am wondering if like many of my family she remarried? The last census I have her on is the 1891 at 57 Quickett Street, Bromley still known as Sarah Pettit with her son Edward 19 and daughter Harriet aged 10

Any help would be great

Steven

I did see the Ancestry 1891 as PETTETT.. but there is this death

another one... though this is a Sarah Ann

Last edited by Darksecretz; 10-03-12, 12:38.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

That look good Julie and it means she could also be in the wedding photo!

Wonder where she is in 1901 and 1911?

Thanks

Steven

Tried to look for Harriet but agin no luck
      Last edited by stevie2006; 10-03-12, 12:44.

Comment

I can't see anything likely for Harriet am checking the marriages now..
        Julie

Comment

Details for the 1918 death.

Burial Register summary
          last name
          PETTITT

first names
          SARAH

Burial date
          11 Dec 1918

Authority
          London Borough of Newham

Moggie

Comment

Hi Amanda has come across a new birth for Sarah Poole - she found a certificate and is forwarding it to me - it means I may have the wrong Sarah which is a blow

Amanda said "I happen to have a birth cert of a sarah born to a william poole and a mary ann poole formerly atkins? 18.9.1842. residence 59 seabright street. william poole is a doll maker on this cert".

I think I still have the correct marriage to Jonathan Pettit as I have their marriage and it gives both fathers as Jonathan Pettit and William Poole - the cert I have listed the parents of Sarah Poole as William Poole and Clara Dewar so looks like there are 2 Sarah Poole's both with the same father

Steven

Comment

hmmm not wanting to pick holes, but has Amanda bought this cert herself? or has it been handed down thru the family..?? what I mean is, if Amanda has bought it, then that one could be wrong and yours could be right... think we need some clarification here :smilee:
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post

I think I still have the correct marriage to Jonathan Pettit as I have their marriage and it gives both fathers as Jonathan Pettit and William Poole - the cert I have listed the parents of Sarah Poole as William Poole and Clara Dewar so looks like there are 2 Sarah Poole's both with the same father

Steven
                on this cert Steven, who are the witness'?? I can't seem to find a William/mary/sarah who is a doll maker on the 51 census, where was Sarah born again? london?
                Julie

Comment

Hi Julie I have asked Amanda if its one that was passed down or a bought one - I agree if its a bought one then its 50/50 who has the right one but if passed down it would have to be right

Here is the link for the marriage

Thanks for looking and your help

Steven

Comment

Oh Julie I forgot the Sarah I have was born in Stepney on 2nd July 1840. This seems the right area where the parents were but I will let you know when I hear from Amanda

Steven

Comment

'51 census shows William Poole as a groom. The 'ancestry' marriage you have says William is a horse dealer whereas Amanda's William Poole is a doll maker???
                      This tends me to believe that Amanda has a different Poole family

Comment

Originally posted by Ken.Milton View Post
                        '51 census shows William Poole as a groom. The 'ancestry' marriage you have says William is a horse dealer whereas Amanda's William Poole is a doll maker???
                        This tends me to believe that Amanda has a different Poole family
                        I'd agree with that too Ken, I have spent this morning trying to find William on the 1841 but not having much luck, and also trying to find Clara Dewar, again, not having much luck!! (think I might need to go back to bed and get up again!!) lol!!
                        Julie

Comment

hi julie - the pooles are my main family, I have a lot of info on them and have been sharing this with steven.
                          Clarissa Amelia Dewar was born 15/8/1820 in Stepney. William Poole was 3/9/1813 in Mile End.
                          Sarah was their first child, born 1840. Next was Mary Ann, born 1842.
                          For reasons I haven't yet discovered, they didn't marry until May 1844.
                          They had several other children, all born in the east end area of mile end/ratcliff/stepney. I have all the certificates and William always worked with horses - he is variously a grom, ostler and coachman.
                          Clarissa is more usually known as Clara. Baptisms for the Pooles and the Dewars are on IGI.
                          Hope that helps the search (-:

Denise

Comment

Thanks Ken and thanks Julie for looking and the help

Thanks Denise for the update

Re the censuses here is what I have

1871 Jonathan Pettit age 29, Sarah Pettit age 29, Federick age 9, William age 5, Peter age 3 and Clara aged 1 in Mile End Old Town, Tower Hamlets

1861 Jonathan & Sarah both aged 20 in Mile End Old Town

1851 Jonathan Pettit senior and his wife Sarah Rix with the young Jonathan Pettit still in Tower Hamlets

Nothing much on the Pool's I am afraid - sorry

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by darannon View Post
                              hi julie - the pooles are my main family, I have a lot of info on them and have been sharing this with steven.
                              Clarissa Amelia Dewar was born 15/8/1820 in Stepney. William Poole was 3/9/1813 in Mile End.
                              Sarah was their first child, born 1840. Next was Mary Ann, born 1842.
                              For reasons I haven't yet discovered, they didn't marry until May 1844.
                              They had several other children, all born in the east end area of mile end/ratcliff/stepney. I have all the certificates and William always worked with horses - he is variously a grom, ostler and coachman.
                              Clarissa is more usually known as Clara. Baptisms for the Pooles and the Dewars are on IGI.
                              Hope that helps the search (-:

Denise
                              aha.. thanks Denise.. that clears alot up maybe William was already married?? and he couldn't marry until 1844 cos wifey no1 was still alive?
                              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                Thanks Ken and thanks Julie for looking and the help

Thanks Denise for the update

Re the censuses here is what I have

1871 Jonathan Pettit age 29, Sarah Pettit age 29, Federick age 9, William age 5, Peter age 3 and Clara aged 1 in Mile End Old Town, Tower Hamlets

1861 Jonathan & Sarah both aged 20 in Mile End Old Town

1851 Jonathan Pettit senior and his wife Sarah Rix with the young Jonathan Pettit still in Tower Hamlets

Nothing much on the Pool's I am afraid - sorry

Steven
                                yep I found John/Sarah in 1861.. and then lost the plot!..lol.. and its this Sarahs' death we are trying to find?
                                Julie

Comment

In 1871 Clara is a widow in general service along with her daughter Clara at 7 Clyde Terrace, Mile End. She died in April 1875 in Mile End Workhouse (I checked with the LMA and no records survive). I don't have a definite death for William, just a possible in 1866. And I have realised I don't have them in 1861, I thought I did.

I have gone further back with the Dewars, but not the Pooles - William's father was also William. This naming trend continued, as my grandad was William Poole and so is my uncle (-:

Comment

Ordered the 1918 cert - fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!

Steven

Comment

Hi received the death certificate for Sarah Pettit (Pettit) and its the right one - she died on 2nd December 1918 in West Ham. Address was 12 Blanche Street I think. The informant was none other than Clara Driscoll!!!!

However looking through my records I found out that I don't have Sarah in the 1901 or 1911 censuses and wondered if anyone can help? Had a good look and can't find her

In 1881 she is age 41 a Charwoman with Clara aged 12, Edward aged 9 and Harriett aged 1 - they were living at 15 Copperfield Road, Mile End Old Town. I now the husband Jonathan was in the workhouse

In 1891 she is age 51 living with Edward aged 19 a butchers assistant and Harriett aged 10 - they are living at 57 Quickett Street (I think) in Bromley

No sign in 1901 or 1911 - the surname is Pettit but is noted various ways eg Pettitt, Pettet, Pettit.

Can anyone help

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Working...
                                      X