When is 'near enough', near enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is 'near enough', near enough?

For about 3 years I have been trying to push back a 'brick wall'. My 5xG/Gdad's Richard Edmondson's (RE) marriage licence of 1773 to Rebecca Wilkinson, says he was 'Greater than 25!' This on the face of it would say he was born about 1748. But try as I may the only RE I can find was born 5 miles from where the marriage took place, in 1742. Is this 'greater than 25 enough?

RE's parents (I hope/think!) were Joseph Ed. and Elizabeth Waite, married in 1728. They potentially! had 11 children. The first 5 were girls, then 2 sons, Christopher and Thomas, a girl and then Richard and Joseph. Their 3rd+4th girls were Ann + Mary.

Joseph's parents (I think) were Thomas and Mary and Elizabeth's parents were Christopher and Ann based on both marriages being within 10 miles each other and from where RE and Rebecca married.

Accepting they often christened their first children after parents or G/parents, is this pattern "Near enough!!" to be possible. I have been through all the local Church Records, having borrowed them through the LDS Libary near to where I live and can't do any better. Is it enough?
    If you have read through this it's possibly time for a paracetamol!!.
    Last edited by Pipeman; 09-03-12, 20:24.
    Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

If you have exhausted all other possibilities then i'd say yep, claim him.. Re the marriage were there any bonds to go with that License? they might hold clues, were they BOTP?, do you know if Richard left a will?? did any of the names get reused? ie passed down the family line? what occupation did he do?

I wouldn't say that 5 miles is any great problem either, alot of my relatives moved from one place to another and it has taken me quite a long time to figure out when/where they came from.. (it didnt help either that they lived right on the border with Leicestershire/Derbyshire) and they hopped from border to border as well, so now means I have to goto two separate RO's (in different directions..lol) to get the info I need!.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

i agree with julie, there doesn't appear to be any others who could be contenders. what about richard's burial? foiund it? an age to go with it?

Comment

A lot depends on how many other Edmondson families there were in the surrounding areas. You may have exhausted every PR and archive but unfortunately all that means is you have exhausted every AVAILABLE archive - there may be others already destroyed, or yet to be discovered.

If this were mine, I would pencil it in to my tree cautiously, with notes to say it isn't absolutely proven and go back to it from time to time to see if anything else has come to light. I once found a memorial stone whch blew apart my carefully constructed, 99% certain line! Two cousins, same name, same birth year and place.

OC

Comment

Working...
        X