Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2 Georges!

Hello
    Can anyone help to find a birth for either of these two George Phillips please? (Father and Son)

The only information I have is an 1851 Census, showing George Snr as Widowed (I do not have a wife for him) showing they were both born in Reading, Berks but living with other son James in Clerkenwell, Middlesex.

There are not really any matches that I have been able to find, and having learnt from my mistakes I do not want to do the same thing again! Lol!

As they are direct line, GG Grandfather and Uncle I would really like to find out a bit more if possible

Many thanks

Debs

The census link is:

just a quickie whilst i am cooking..

you wont find a birth for these two, you should find baptisms though. try looking on www.familysearch.org this is a good site to start with.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie, Much appreciated :o

Might sound a daft question but why wont I find a birth? The year or the location maybe?

Comment

I can't see the link but would assume that they were born before 1837...

Civil Registration (the act of registering a birth/marriage/death with the local registrar) started on 1st July 1837.. However, it also wasn't compulsory and it's estimated that only 90% of births were actually registered!

Comment

Oh what a great site!

I found a match, I am not saying its them, but its brought about a general question
          He died from 'Softening of the Brain'!!

What on earth is that?

Debs

Comment

Originally posted by Debbss View Post
            Oh what a great site!

I found a match, I am not saying its them, but its brought about a general question
            He died from 'Softening of the Brain'!!

What on earth is that?

Debs
            A localized softening of the brain substance due to hemorrhage or inflammation. three stages: red, yellow, and white.

Taken from http://courses.wcupa.edu/jones/his48...s/deth-dic.htm

Comment

Ewww not pleasant then!!
              Thank you Beth
              Yes they were both born before that, 1797 and 1820

Debs

Comment

Thanks Julie, Much appreciated :o

Might sound a daft question but why wont I find a birth? The year or the location maybe?

no probs,

what I meant was there will be 'a' birth, but you might not get an actual date of birth, as this is pre 1837, you generally only get baptisms, some clergy did actually note the actual date of birth alongside the baptism, but not always. As Beth has said civil registration began in 1837 where BMDs should have been registered, though some did slip thru the net and when the regulations were tightened in 1875 then alot more BMDs were registered, otherwise a fine!!

you should still get a place of birth and the parents names, though, in some you do only get the fathers name.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Ahh I see.

I learn so much on here

Thank you

Comment

Hi Debs
                    Needs to be proved but on familysearch a marriage 29th Mar 1817 Shinfield. BerKshire.George Phillips & Mary Ann Chandler.
                    3 sons baptised there George 11th July 1819, John 7th July 1822 & James 21st Nov 1824.
                    Shinfield about 3 miles from Reading.
                    NBI index covers burials at Shinfield 1653-1907. None of the above buried there.
                    It might be worth trying to follow them forwards if only to eliminate them.
                    Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie

thats great as i have just found a Shinfield George too, so if its the same one with a James, it may be a good one

What is NBI?
                      Debs

Comment

Oh and mine is Mary too, looks like it might be the same one, just takes me ages whereas you come up with it very quickly!!
                        I had found them on Ancestry too but the info wasnt quite a match, I will go back and have another look to see if it is possibly the same

Thanks

Debs

Comment

I also suspect the 2 Georges went to Canada, after 1851, where would I find outgoing lists as all I seem to find are incoming to the UK?

Comment

I also suspect the 2 Georges went to Canada, after 1851, where would I find outgoing lists as all I seem to find are incoming to the UK?
                            Why do you think they went to Canada? I don't know where you can find passenger lists that early. The ones on Findmypast don't start until 1890.
                            NBI is the National Burial Index.
                            Moggie

Comment

Because on the familysearch site I found a couple of George and George combinations, from England, and as of yet I haven't been able to find either after they they appear on the 1851 living with James. And the 'strongest' of them was widowed to a wife called Mary, going back to recheck it now
                              Its only a very loose thought at the moment, its certain to be wrong Lol!!

Debs

Comment

Oh!
                                I have just found a 'Henry Chandler', from Berkshire, already in my tree! I knew the name Chandler rang a bell. He is a Great Uncle.

So now to see if Mary is true and if there is a connection.

Debs

Comment

Hi Debs
                                  It's possible that the same George & Mary had 3 more sons baptised at Reading St Giles.
                                  William Aug 1826, Thomas July 1828 & Edward March 1831. It's possible that Thomas died age 2 in Jan 1831.
                                  In the 1851 census where James Phillips has his father George & brother George living with him at 3 Red Lion Yard if you move on 2 pages to 7 Red Lion Yard there is an Edward Phillips visitor age 18 born Reading Berkshire. (Costermonger, oyster seller).
                                  Moggie
                                  Last edited by maudarby; 09-03-12, 09:05.

Comment

Oh thats interesting as a bit later, can't remember when off the top of my head, I have some of them living at no 7! I will go and have a look
                                    Thanks Moggie

Debs

Comment

In 1853 Angelina Phillips, daughter of James and Catherine, Granddaughter of George Snr, was born The address on the baptism is 7 Red Lion Yard! On the 1861 Census their address is different, Long Alley, but I think thats a connection

Comment

Working...
                                      X