Marriage in Rosskeen, Ross and Cromarty 1954

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage in Rosskeen, Ross and Cromarty 1954

With a bit of help I have found a marriage on Scotlands People but being 1954 the image is not available..Does anyone know the address to where I should apply for the certificate and how much should I send... no names as at least one party is alive

i think you can order it on scotlandspeople.

Comment

I saw some system of purchase £7 to buy credits.. but I know where and when the marriage took place.. then £12 for the certificate..
      I was wondering if there is another official place such as a local, regional or national office where certs may be purchased..

Comment

just scotlandspeople as far as i know. i think you can go in to the GRO for scotland, but it would cost the same i think.

Comment

I would expect you would be able to get it if you lived in Scotland and could go along to a local register office.
          Otherwise the simplest way would be to order it via the scotlandspeople website.
          Just do your search and when it says no image - next to it click on "order" and the cert will be in you basket.
          You can then order and pay for the cert online. Should be £12.
          The only other way would be if someone was going to Edinburgh and they were willing to copy down the details for you.
          You can see all certs but can't download copies of the recent ones in Edinburgh.
          Last edited by herky; 08-03-12, 15:50.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thank you for the information..looks like I will have to go through Scotlands people.. although the relative that I am helping does live in Edinburgh.. and I was not aware that they were available so as I need only to confirm his fathers name it may be worth the trip..

Comment

Originally posted by colin taylor View Post
              Thank you for the information..looks like I will have to go through Scotlands people.. although the relative that I am helping does live in Edinburgh.. and I was not aware that they were available so as I need only to confirm his fathers name it may be worth the trip..
              For £15 a day you will have access to all the records at the SP Centre in Edinburgh. Well worth the visit. I go every year but usually in the autumn.
              You can just drop in but probably best to book in advance - this can be done on-line or just give them a phone - number etc is on the website. Not the Scotlands people website, where you do the online searching but this one-
              Last edited by herky; 08-03-12, 16:07.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Herky's info is spot on, Colin. Certificates can also be bought at any Registrar's Office but I think it's about £15 now. It was £14 up to April last year but that's when SP put their prices up so chances are Gros (General Registrar of Scotland) increased their charges as well.

If you're not in a great hurry then I can check the next time I get a chance to go to Edinburgh. I'd hoped to go before the end of the month but it's not looking promising. April and May are a bit full on as well but if I can manage a day away then I will!
                There was some talk of having the Digros system made available at Highland Archives but no idea when. The council have created a new company to run all the libraries and archive centres so if they think there's money to be made then I think they'll be all for doing it. It will be costly though, as of course it will involve spending money on the computers!
                If you like then pm me the details and I'll add it to my "to do" list just in case I manage a visit!

Comment

Hi Woody - That is interesting about the possibility of the Digros system being available at the Highland Archive. I will look out for that as I usually pass through Inverness a few times a year on my way north. I am a member of the Highland FHS so no doubt they will have some info on that - I will have a look to see if it is mentioned on their website.
                  Thanks for the info.
                  herky

Comment

Just to add that if anyone is in Edinburgh you can get a FREE 2 hour taster session at the Scotlands People Centre, just to get started. See the site for details.
                    I hope you don't think I am a bit biased about the SP centre - actually I am as it is a wonderful place for Scottish research and the staff are very helpful.
                    Anyone with Scottish links should try, if they can, to make a visit.
                    PS - I live a few hundred miles away so it is not local for me and entails overnight stays etc. However I do appreciate that it can be too costly for some to make a visit.
                    herky

Comment

Thank you Herky.
                      I did see Scotlands People on Tv a year or so back but it was a gardening program.
                      The relative does work away but returns to Edinburgh on a regular basis so a visit may be arranged... but now in contact with another member of the family who knows the lady who married... hope some progress may be made..

Comment

Good luck with your searches.
                        herky

Comment

Working...
                        X