Burton or Phillips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burton or Phillips?

im looking for my mother in laws birth, phyllis may burton (we thought it was burton)but on her childrens births it says mothers name as phillips? when whe married herbert derrick in 1940 bristol it says burton or phillips, she has brothers and sisters, josie, jean, dennis, maurice, dougals i cant find any of them or phyllis birth, can anyone help me please, Thanks

How old was she when she married herbert please

any idea where she was born or her fathers name?
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 07-03-12, 19:39.
    Jess

Comment

all the births are there under MMn Phillips, Bristol between 1930 and 1943

was Phyllis the eldest?
      Last edited by Jessbowbag; 08-03-12, 07:14.
      Jess

Comment

Hi im not sure how old she was when she married, she was my mother in law and my husband cant remember anything, i have no details of her apart from her siblings, Why would there be two names though? thanks

Comment

Phillips Phyllis M Phillips Bristol 6a 75

Maybe her mother, who looks to have been a phillips married a Mr Burton and they all assumed his name, but used both when they married
          Last edited by Jessbowbag; 07-03-12, 19:50.
          Jess

Comment

Any idea what their mother was called? Ida maybe?
            Jess

Comment

ok thanks, where did you findthe births too? on which site thanks for your help

Comment

sorry no idea of any names

Comment

Phyllis married Herbert Derrick so where does mr burton come into this? sorry im getting confused. lol

Comment

Do you think that maybe phyllis wasnt born to phillips and burton then but took his name maybe when ida married in 1928 if you get what i mean?? thanks for your help karen

Comment

think that Phyllis was the youngest because when she died there was no other family members just her children
                      Last edited by kartrix; 07-03-12, 20:15.

Comment

These births are all from freeBMD.org.uk and seem to fit with the names you mention

Births Mar 1930
                        Burton Jean F Phillips Bristol 6a 296
                        Births Dec 1931
                        Burton Maurice W Phillips Bristol 6a 94
                        Births Dec 1933
                        BURTON Ernest J Phillips Bristol 6a 50
                        Births Jun 1938
                        Burton Douglas J Phillips Bristol 6a 96
                        Births Mar 1943
                        Burton Josephine R Phillips Bristol 6a 375

Comment

wow thanks for that that is brill, any idea on the mothers name?? i dont know what i was doing wrong but i couldnt find them

Comment

it wont give the mothers full name just her maiden surname which is Phillips

Comment

ok thanks for all your help, i dont suppose i will be able to go back anymore then if i dont know who she is, unless i get a cert thanks anyway take care

Comment

If everyone is dead, I cannot see the harm

It loks ( a guess really) that an IDA Phillips married a Henry Burton in Bristol in summer 1928

There is a Phyllis PHILLIPS born in Bristol in 1922, if she was the eldest, its possible she was born to Ida before ( obviously) she married henry. When Ida married henry and had other children they all took his name, maybe Phyllis felt the odd one out.

If you think she was the youngest clearly that blows that theory right out of the window
                                Jess

Comment

Originally posted by kartrix View Post
                                  think that Phyllis was the youngest because when she died there was no other family members just her children
                                  She could still have been the oldest. My mum's sister, the youngest of 5 girls, outlived all her sisters so that us nieces and nephews were the only family members around.
                                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Did she die in 2001 in Somerset? That Phyllis May Derrick had date of birth 12 July 1922 which fits the birth Jess found and makes Jess' theory very likely.
                                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Its just occured to me, she cannot have been the yougest, Josie, her sister was born 1943 which was after Phyllis was married IF we are barking up the right tree

when was your husband born? what year and where?
                                      Last edited by Jessbowbag; 08-03-12, 07:39.
                                      Jess

Comment

i think you need the marriage cert for your parent's in law. then go from there.

Comment

Working...
                                        X