Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian Great Grandparents

Hello again

How would I start to trace an Italian GG Grandfather (Yes I know I struggle enough with the English ones) but at some point I am going to attempt it, but at the moment I wouldn't know where to start.
    Is it possible?
    What added challenges are there apart from the obvious language barrier

Many thanks

Debs;)

The main challenge is the total absence of central records and online records.

More information here:

Roughly when and where are you looking for?
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-03-12, 19:04.

Comment

Mary from Italy! Hello and thank you for your reply.
      Its a very general question at the moment, a Peter Brougiotti has turned up as my possible GGG Grandfather, all I have at the moment is a Banns, for his Daughters wedding in Clerkenwell, 1828.(figure maker as his trade), saying Italy as his birthplace. It will possibly come to nothing but I would like to know where to start. I think I also have his son, also a figure maker!
      Thanks
      Debs

Comment

Hi Debs
        I guess this thread is a follow on from Catherine Brougiotti.
        I don't know if you have come across Luigi/Louis B in your search but have just found some interesting info about him. http://www.npg.org.uk/research/progr...800-1980-b.php
        Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie
          No I havent, you are, as always, one step ahead of me ;)

I shall try to have a look this evening, if not I will have to wait until morning

Thank you

Debs

Comment

Wow!! Just had a sneaky peak as I couldnt resist!
            I have Catharines brother, Peter, no marriage details yet but his first child was born in 1847 in Holburn......gosh a lot of coincidences
            But..............I have learnt the hard way not to get too carried away!
            Watch this space, but anymore interesting links like that would be most welcome Moggie!
            Thank you ;D:D

Comment

Looking for the marriage!! Lol!

Comment

Don't get carried away I think that Peter's father was Christopher (Italian spelling) as was Luigi/Louis'.
                Moggie

Comment

Hmm no obvious ones yet
                  I got to his 'wifes' (Elizabeth) surname, Dalton, from the census as it states the Head of house Brother in Law, Samuel Dalton, as living with them
                  Would this be a crazy way of doing it?
                  Ideas please
                  Ta very much
                  Debs

Comment

How feasible to use her brother on her Banns etc, did it happen? The witnesses were names that have not cropped up anywhere yet, Edward Luke and Emma Bender (I think)

Comment

I'm afraid it's probably going to be a non-starter, because there are no central BDM records held anywhere in Italy.

Pre-1866 baptism, marriage and burial records are still held by the local priest, possibly with a copy at the Diocesan archives. However, unless you know where an event took place (preferably the parish), it's impossible to make a start.

When you're searching, bear in mind that Peter will be the anglicised form of his name. His original name was probably Pietro (or possibly Piero). The correct Italian spelling of the surname is more likely to be Brugiotti.

If you enter the surname in this site, you'll see where it's most common; however, I think it's based on the current Italian phone book, so it's only a very rough guide.

Origine, etimologia, curiosita' sui nomi; diffusione e distribuzione dei cognomi in Italia attraverso mappe colorate e zoom sulle regioni. Ricerche genealogiche, storie di emigranti, documenti per la cittadinanza italiana, folkore, tradizioni e risorse regionali, musica tradizionale, musica e canti popolari, musica delle regioni italiane
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-03-12, 19:49.

Comment

Thank you Mary, I had a look on the link you sent and yes it does seem as if its an impossible mission

As I say, it may come to nothing anyway, but at least I have a starting place now if I do get any further

Kind regards

Debs;)

Comment

I dont actually understand this thread but all the names i already have are in it

Comment

Peter's marriage in 1845. One of the witnesses was Catharine Mary Brougiotti. Signed her own name & the writing looks the same as on Catharine's marriage in 1846. Maybe Peter was her cousin but there is definitely a link.
                            Moggie

Comment

Lol! Every day I am amazed at how you all find records as if by magic

Thankyou again Moggie

Comment

Ahhhh Dutton, the census says Dalton! well done

Comment

Is this a spelling too far removed from Brougiotti?
                                  At least his first name is Peter. About the right time & area to be Catharine's parent's marriage.

Moggie

Comment

No I think its very close, and its the right district!
                                    Amazing......grr I have to go and do Hubby time now

Be back soon

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                      Is this a spelling too far removed from Brougiotti?
                                      No, not at all, well done.

The Italian spelling would be Brugiotti, pronounced Brew-jotty, but Bruchotti could well be the vicar's attempt at spelling the same name, based on the pronounciation.
                                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-03-12, 20:19.

Comment

Just looking at Peter's marriage in 1845, and I see it has the correct spelling of Brugiotti. Bear in mind that his father's Italian name would be Cristoforo.

Comment

Working...
                                        X