Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reference Numbering? Managing all those copies of docs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference Numbering? Managing all those copies of docs...

I'm wondering what folks find to be the most effective means to maintain all those paper copies of censuses, certificates, etc. I'm generally an organized sort of person, but finding a method to effectively keep all these docs in a binder that I can reference easily is eluding me.

My principle tree is on Ancestry but I maintain a syn'd tree on FTM, and that provides reference numbers. I print off important docs & keep in binders, but trying to keep them arranged by family units doesn't seem to work, and numerically by FTM generated reference number would totally split up families.

Are there any great ideas out there?

From our Reference Library..

How-to-store-it-all
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

A simple numbering system is good with binders given letters and each document within in sequence. You could have a binder for each type of record eg BMDs, censuses, will etc and then all you need to do on your electronic tree is make a note of the binder letter and document number.
      Margaret

Comment

That was the reference I had been looking for & hadn't found. Also, the idea of storing all the docs of a kind together, rather than with an individual, makes good sense to me. Thank you both.

Comment

Well I'm in the process of re-doing my paperwork to make things easier for me.

I've got large loose-leaf binders numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 so can expand - with a alphabet tabs spread between them. For each letter I will copy the list from ancestry everyone I have with that surname letter and put behind the alphabet tab starting with A Then in the order of the names on the list I will have the individuals pouch with profile sheet, certificates etc relating to that person. I have gone through the census bit on the profile and entered the address and occupation of the individual so it shows up on the profile sheet. Using a highlighter I can then see what I'm missing for each individual.

Then I have large loose-leaf binders for the Census - starting with the 1911 tab and going backwards putting copies of the census for each family in alphabetical order. So can look behind 1871 tab and look alphabetically for the family in the census.

With the rest of the information I have again used binders with the alphabet tabs and for each surname put plastic pouches with everything I have relating to each family name.

I also plan to put at the front of the folders pedigree sheets to show at a glance the family tree.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Very helpful, thanks very much.

Some days I actually spend more time looking for the paper records I already have or reprinting copies than I do on researching.

Comment

So I've reorganized my census data but census country, census year (most recent first), and then by family group. I have already noticed it is working better for me. Not only am I finding docs faster, but I'm able to pick up trends quicker. Now I'm starting on the BMD records and have assembled them in chronological order, most recent first. I haven't decided yet if I'll break them down further into Birth, then Marriage, and then Death; or BMD for each individual.

Comment

Working...
              X