HOSGROVE or GRAY !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOSGROVE or GRAY !

Can anyone help me unravel a mystery? I've hit a brick wall trying to trace beyond the following people: George Gray Hosgove c.1817 and Elizabeth Hosgrove c.1819 (nee Stevens) residing in Crediton Devon.
    Ah! easy you might think! Alas not so, let me explain why.
    They had 9 children between them, early births in Crediton, later ones in Exeter. Each birth cert states Christian name including 'GRAY' IE Edwin Gray, Ellen Gray, George Gray etc. all surnames are Hosgrove bar the youngest William which is William Back Gray Hosgrove.b.1855 Exeter. Strangely one generation on and Hosgrove is dropped in favour of GRAY by most of the descendants including my GrandMother.
    HOSGROVE comes in various spellings ie Holsgrove, Holesgrove, Holesgrow and even Osgrove as does GRAY and GREY.
    The family are living in Exeter in 1861 (census) Elizabeth says she was born in London, In 1871 born in Crediton and in 1881/1891 and 1901 born in Plymouth!!!
    I'm reasonably sure they married in 07/09/1836 but can't find them in the 1841 census.
    George was a Master Shoemaker/ Boot binder / Cordwainer, a tradition it seems passed down from father to sons and that Crediton was big in shoes at the time.
    Unfortunately no one has transcribed the Church records for Crediton and as I can't be sure of Elizabeth Stevens origins, It's the proverbial Brick Wall.
    I can be sure of the family going forward ie Birth certs,marriage certs, cemetery records etc. but not back, I'm reasonably sure George was born in Crediton however there are 3 potential candidates b.1811 ,1817 and 1819 ?
    and I would love to know where the 'Gray' came into being ?

Would appreciate any help in solving this puzzle

Many thanks,

Rob.

I have Crediton ancestors -
    familysearch has indexed Crediton thru 1842
    Sunny Rosy has kindly looked up parish records for me after that ("Research Offers")

The film that they are indexed from is actually a transcription of the parish records. You can request the film to your local FHC, but it won't give you much more than the index.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 03-03-12, 17:15.

Comment

Did Ellen marry Edwin Greenslade? If so, then Ellen & her mother are in Nick Heard's family tree.

Comment

Possible on 1841 census

GRAY, George M 23 1818 Devon
        GRAY, Eliza F 23 1818 Devon
        GRAY, Ellen F 3 1838 Devon
        GRAY, Emma F 1 1840 Devon

Piece:215 Book/Folio:14 Page:22

Address:
        Park Street, Crediton

Comment

Edwin married Emma Crocker Exeter 1874. Rosy helped me out once before with look ups, might ask her again ! The IGI is useful sometimes but when you cross ref info with FMP or Ancestry , none of them are comprehensive.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Yes thats the family but calling themselves Gray ! really odd , wish I could find out why

Thanks for your help

Comment

I've not contacted him, but I heard from a cousin that Nick is happy to answer questions. He's also started to work professionally in the field.

I have an ancestor that gave all children mom's maiden name. Pretty sure that the couple was not married at the time of their children's births - he'd been married before, and they married once the first wife died! Technically, none of the children should have had his surname. Dunno if that might apply to your situation.

The transcribed parish record occasionally had a bit more information than the index - e.g., gave father's occupation.

Comment

Sorry everyone, I may have been confusing in the original post. George & Elizabeth and all of there children can be followed through 1841-1891 as Grays, George died 1889, Elizabeth I believe 1905 ,the problem is they were all registered at birth as christian name+Gray and surname HOSGROVE !Most of the Children also used the name Gray as well as Hosgrove when they married. George even put himself down as George Gray HOSGROVE on his childres birth certs. So why did he drop the Hosgrove in cencus returns ?

Comment

Thanks for reply, Yes I have looked at possible use of MM name etc. trouble is I know from certs that Mum was a Stevens , and George was George Gray Hosgrove, so the Gray would have crept in a generation prior. I can't find a birth though for George Gray Hosgrove, only George Hosgrove or George Gray. The later stepfather scenario was also on my mind at some stage further back. !

Comment

Working...
                  X