• Show
Clear All

• "as per declaration"

Hi,
    I recently bought a birth certificate:
    On the Signature, description and residence of informant line is written:

"as per declaration dated 30th December"

the date of birth is 7th November.

I think elsewhere it's been stated that a birth needed to be registered within 6 weeks, and this is about 7 1/2wks.

Is that why there was a declaration?

More importantly - is there any other surviving record that would be associated with this?
    thanks
    sarah

on mine it states that the father's name and occupation were to be removed following a 'statutory declaration'

ie here the mother had given 2 children her dead husband's name so in my case it was because the wrong father had been named but only for the last child, he had been dead 5 yrs. I rang the relevant register office but they weren't very helpful so haven't come across this since

Elaine
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
      Hi,
      I recently bought a birth certificate:
      On the Signature, description and residence of informant line is written:

"as per declaration dated 30th December"

the date of birth is 7th November.

I think elsewhere it's been stated that a birth needed to be registered within 6 weeks, and this is about 7 1/2wks.

Is that why there was a declaration?

More importantly - is there any other surviving record that would be associated with this?
      thanks
      sarah
      We have been discussing this on another thread recently and have sort of come to the view that it is unlikely there will be a record anywhere as the declarations are not made to the Registrar but a JP and are simply retained by the individual that asked for it.

I think though it depends on what sort of declaration it was so it might just be worth while asking the local register office if they have a note of the late registration of the birth which would presumably have an annotation about the declaration on it.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks, Margaret & Elaine.

Margaret - which other thread?

Is it of interest that they apparently moved between the birth and the registration? What about the fine? I don't think these peoplle had money to spare - why didn't he just lie, as that seemed to be a fairly common practice?

sarah

Comment

This is the thread I was referring to http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...ry+declaration

Margaret

Comment

Yes, it's an interesting thread.

Don't you think that the declaration was necessary due to the registration delay? I've looked at the page on freebmd, and there's nothing different about the page the birth is registered on.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              Yes, it's an interesting thread.

Don't you think that the declaration was necessary due to the registration delay? I've looked at the page on freebmd, and there's nothing different about the page the birth is registered on.

thanks
              I think any other information would be on the cert itself. Maybe try asking the Registry office if there is a notation on their register.
              Margaret

Comment

As I understand it a birth must be registered in the district where it occurred. If the family move outside the district they can make a declaration to the local Registrar. This information is then sent to the origonal district for registration.

checked up a bit more try this www.rbkc.gov.uk/communityandlocallife/registeringabirth.aspx
                Last edited by Cliff inNZ; 06-03-12, 08:30.

Comment

Thanks Cliff!

Comment

Working...
                  X