Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 baptism records?

Hello everyone

Iv'e found 2 baptism records for James Werner, George Geilinger as below. On the first baptism record in 1875 the word 'private' is written next to the entry which I presume means exactly that - it was a private ceremony?

On the second baptism in 1876 (which was a joint baptism with younger brother Walter Hermann) there are a few words written beneath the entry but I can't make out what it reads, can any body make it out?

Does any body know of any reason why he would have been baptised twice?

Entry number 1:

Entry number 2:

Tracy
    Last edited by Lady Liberty; 03-03-12, 15:48.

Just realised the links above are broken? ^^Links above now working, thank's to Elaine.

Entry number 1:

Name: James Werner George Geilinger Geilinger
    Record Type: Baptism
    Estimated Birth Date: abt 1875
    Baptism Date: 26 Mar 1875
    Father's Name: John James Geilinger
    Mother's name: Emily Geilinger
    Parish or Poor Law Union: West Holloway St Luke
    Borough: Islington
    Register Type: Parish Registers

Entry number 2:

Name: James Werner George Geilinger
    Record Type: Baptism
    Estimated Birth Date: abt 1876
    Baptism Date: 29 Oct 1876
    Father's Name: John James Geilinger
    Mother's name: Emily Geilinger
    Parish or Poor Law Union: Tufnell Park St George
    Borough: Islington
    Register Type: Parish Registers
    Last edited by Lady Liberty; 03-03-12, 16:09.

Comment

Just repaired your links in the first post - so they now work.

The wording on the second one ..
      had been privately baptised and is now publicly ...... ?
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Just repaired your links in the first post - so they now work.

Thanks Elaine, It took me some time to work out how to add a hyper link then I realised I'd done it wrong anyway?

aww, yes the words are obvious now you've pointed them out, just that last one that's not very clear is it..

Comment

.. can't make out what the last word is, sorry!
          Elaine

Comment

nor can I

Comment

received ?

Comment

good one Gwyn

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
                  received ?
                  yes, I think your right Gwyn, thank's

Comment

Nephew was privately christened in his incubator in special care, aged 1 day.
                    He was later christened in the traditional way in a church, same names etc, same Godparents present at both
                    Jess

Comment

Recieved??
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

A private baptism is done when a child is not expected to survive or sometimes for other reasons. Anyone can do it, it doesn't have to be a clergyman or priest. If the child survives, it cannot be baptised again so a different ceremony is performed with a slightly different wording, which receives the child into the christian congregation.

So the first ceremony commends the child/adult to God's spiritual care and keeping, the second ceremony admits the child to the Christian community on earth.

OC

Comment

That's interesting - thank you for posting that information OC. I have some children in my tree who seem to have been baptised twice - the second time is at the same time as a younger sibling. I am now wondering if this could be the reason.

Comment

I didn't think about that, yes maybe he was a poorly baby. He obviously got over it as he's a student in later census returns , and then he eventually became a tax inspector for the Inland revenue. He died young though - aged 57. Thanks everyone for your in put.

Tracy.

Comment

As he was born in 1875 I would have thought 57 was considered a good age to live to. Does anyone know the average age people lived to in those days?

Comment

Originally posted by jaynie View Post
                                As he was born in 1875 I would have thought 57 was considered a good age to live to. Does anyone know the average age people lived to in those days?
                                In comparison to most of his direct family's age of death, he did die young. They were quite a wealthy family so I guess they were quite privileged too.

Comment

Jaynie

"Average age" is a complete waste of time. Infant mortality was quite high in the 1800s and many children - 3 out of 5? did not survive their 5th birthday. However, those who DID survive, lived almost as long as we do today.

To get an average age at death of 40, you need one person to die at birth and another to die aged 80! So I would say that 57 was still a comparatively young age to die even for someone born in the Victorian era.

Probably the most astonishing thing I ever discovered when doing my tree was how OLD my ancestors were when they died. The only ones who died young were infants or woman in childbirth, all the rest lived on into their 70s, 80s and 90s.

OC

OC

Comment

I'd agree with O.C.
                                    Many of my folk lived to a fair age, if they survived childhood, although as in the previous post some women died as a result of childbirth.
                                    Grandfather born in 1875 died aged 81.

Gwyn

Comment

I think I must of had a lot of unlucky people in my family :( sadly quite a few of them died in their forties and fifties - even the wealthy ones.

Comment

Working...
                                      X